94 Oldsmobile Cutlalss Cierra Idle sensor

Old 11-13-07, 08:10 AM
Smile 94 Oldsmobile Cutlalss Cierra Idle sensor

Where is the idle speed sensor located on an 94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra? My car has just been shutting off when I'm at a reduced speed. I could b in traffic and going slow and it'll just stop running or I'm making a turn and if it's too slow it just turns off. It starts right back up but it's dangerous that it's turning off in the middle of traffic when people r behind me. Other than that it's a great running car!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 02:10 PM
It's probably a stepper motor operated pintle assembly located in the throttle body. Their function is to be a computer controlled air bypass in parallel with the butterfly operated by the foot pedal (it's not a gas pedal anymore, it only lets air into the engine). Not unusual for the pintle to get dirty and need cleaning.

Old 11-15-07, 06:12 PM
sounds like it could also be fuel pressure !!

Old 11-15-07, 07:42 PM
Engine?

What engine do you have? I've found that 2.8L has injector issues.

Old 11-16-07, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by formula View Post
It's probably a stepper motor operated pintle assembly located in the throttle body. Their function is to be a computer controlled air bypass in parallel with the butterfly operated by the foot pedal (it's not a gas pedal anymore, it only lets air into the engine). Not unusual for the pintle to get dirty and need cleaning.
I'm a bit confused. A "stepper motor" first I've heard. That wouldn't be causing it to shut off when the speed is below 10 or even 2 ml/hr.

Please explain again...

Old 11-16-07, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by rob24chevy View Post
sounds like it could also be fuel pressure !!
What do u mean fuel pressure? Would that b the reason that stops when it's going only 10 or 5 ml/hr?

Old 11-16-07, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by menm2480 View Post
What engine do you have? I've found that 2.8L has injector issues.

I would have to check again. Someone said that I didn't have n e leaks from the engine. "Injector Issuses"? mean that gas isn't getting through the pipe? Or too much air?

Old 11-16-07, 04:41 PM
Check fuel pressure

I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what you have at idle and then with the the engine off. This is to see if there is any leak down. After the engine is shut down for about 20 minutes there should only be about 10 psi max of pressure drop. Get a long enough hose on your fuel pressure gauge and you can duct tape it to the windshield and drive it, so you can duplicate the problem and see what the fuel pressure is when it cuts out. Of course if you see the fuel pressure is too low at idle then it's fuel pump time.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 02-05-08, 10:28 AM
try checking vacuum lines first

My car did the same thing, except it was more when it was in park, but it turned out to be a thin(looked white or clear with black boot that hooks from line to engine on top) this line may look good or the boot may look ok but if you remove them and really look, it will either break off in your hand like mine did or you will notice a crack in the line or the boot. Check them out before you attack the complex stuff first, type in idle and look at the message from the guy about cleaning the throttle housing with toothbrush, this is also good to do as well as obvious tune up stuff. good luck.

Old 07-18-13, 01:57 PM
GM Multec fuel injectors are the worst in the industry, their coils short out and give no error codes. Replace them with Bosch, or new ones at least. Google "Dirty dozen injectors"

Old 07-18-13, 02:04 PM
My 89 2.8L Pontiac stalled when engine warmed up, fuel stopped. Problem was the GM bad designed fuel injector coil shorted out, and then stopped the other 2 injectors connected to its bank from working too. This stalled the engine and would not start again for several hours, after injector cooled down causing its coil to connect again. I replaced those damned GM injectors, and that fixed my problem.

Old 07-18-13, 02:08 PM
Spray vacuum line connections with Starter Engine spray, if the engine speed increases then you have found your vacuum leak.