How do you replace a power steering pump on a 1998 Chevy Malibu?"HELP!!

Old 11-20-07, 09:46 AM
Question How do you replace a power steering pump on a 1998 Chevy Malibu?"HELP!!

How do you replace a power steering pump on a 1998 Chevy Malibu?"

anything to help wise would be great !
no ideal about any of it first time to be doing it!
not car smart but have to get fixed asap to get to work!
any manuels?instructions?anything to help please!

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-07, 12:32 PM
Exclamation Help Please!!!!!

Originally Posted by BIRDYSCAR View Post
How do you replace a power steering pump on a 1998 Chevy Malibu?"

anything to help wise would be great !
no ideal about any of it first time to be doing it!
not car smart but have to get fixed asap to get to work!
any manuels?instructions?anything to help please!

thank you

NEED HELP!! CAR IS DRIVEING ME CRAZY

Old 11-20-07, 01:37 PM
A good thing to have on hand is a Chilton manual for your car. It covers a lot of fixes.

I believe to do a power steering pump you:

Disconnect battery.
Remove the belt.
Remove the return line from the pump and place in a bucket.
Open the power steering fill cap.
Remove pressure line, place in bucket. (Usually a good idea to mark the lines so you can put them back on correctly)
Undo bolts and remove pump.
Move resevior onto new pump (unless you bought full unit)
Bolt new unit up.
Re-connect lines correctly.
Put belt on.
Fill.
Bleed power steering system.

Take what I say with a grain of salt I read the section regarding power steering pumps from my book a while ago and don't have my book in front of me right now. Vehicle's with Air Bags have warnings regarding changing the power steering pump.

Old 11-20-07, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
A 50-50 chance you need a puller to remove the pulley to access the mount bolts. Depends on how the pump is mounted.

Old 11-20-07, 03:23 PM
Pita

You can do it but you will at least need a good shop book a good set of various metric tools sockets, extensions,wrenches,and any other tools like a good flashlight mirror etc the more tools the better. You might also want some good jack stands and a floor jack as some of the bolts probbably will be much more easy to get to from the bottom. I can assure you if you get frustrated easy a new car will test you. And while you have the belts off it would be a good thing to replace them if they are old.
As to the exact procedure the book will guide you (warning) those darn books make it look easy and never tell you that you must remove other parts to get the job done.Like said before some pumps come with no pulleys so you will need to address that issue as well.
Sorry to paint such a picture of gloom but I am sure many will concur with above post. This aint your fathers 65 oldsmobile anymore.

Old 11-20-07, 04:46 PM
If its on the 3.1 it isn`t that bad. you just have three 13 mm bolts that are accessable throught the pully holes, and a 16mm high pressure line , and a ruturn line to un hook, it has a small spring clamp, then it slides off. You will need a puller to remove the pully to put it on the new pump, they may do it at the parts house... possible. After you first take belt off you can stick finger in pully holes to find the three bolts !!! Good Luck !!

Old 11-20-07, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you got the thing at a junk yard, wouldn't it then have the pulley on it, included? And a good chance the guys there who removed it in the first place could say how to put it on, and any other words of wisdom?

Old 11-21-07, 12:58 PM
Not From Junk Yard-ordered @ Napa-can I Get The Pully Tool There?-surely-
Thanks So Much 4 The Help!sounds- Not As Hard As I Thought At Least-anything Eles U Can Think Of Please Let Me Know -trying To Get It Done While Off 4 Thankgiveing

Old 11-21-07, 02:43 PM
Napa

If your Napa has a machine shop and I think most do take your old pump with pulley and they will swap it out.
Let us know how it goes .

Old 11-24-07, 06:30 PM
If it's a 3.1, be careful not to break off the return line nipple on the fuel rail pressure test port.Taking off the dust cap will help with clearance.

Search this Thread