dodge caravan won't start

Old 11-23-07, 05:24 PM
dodge caravan won't start

the strangest thing happened yesterday.

started my 2002 dodge caravan it ran for about 3 minutes then stopped running.

turned key and nothing happens. battery is ok. thought it was the starter but it tested fine.

put computer to it and no bad codes. could it be the ignition switch??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-07, 05:51 PM
Does engine turn over or No? Start relay ? Fuses checked? All cables to battery in good shape? What exactly happens? Does the dash light up etc, as usual? Do you hear any clicking? Have you tried to start in neutral? Was it wet or dry weather ?

Last edited by Mike.B; 11-23-07 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 11-23-07, 06:30 PM
Lightbulb idea

hey mate i think by sound of that the audi 2000 on and most new ford models have this transponder issuses that is located in the key , it will let you start the engine once or twice to get it of the road then it will want to know if you are the real owner an this some times requires the second key or remote(lock ,unlock):mask:
have you changed keys at some point or dropped your key ect .just some ideas to work with let me know how you get on cuz
as far as i know if you dont have the other key the agent will have to send someone out to confirm onership within the ecu with thier tec one or tech two anilizer.please keep in mind that this is on those cars i have mentioned,it might not be the same on your ,just check it out

Old 11-24-07, 05:38 AM
engine does not turn over. won't jump start.

dash lights flicker. headlight flicker. doesn't click. in garage no wet weather.

starter relay replaced and works. battery cables clean. will take cables off today and check both sides.

Old 11-24-07, 03:16 PM
I just have similar problem.
The day before I had some strange signs from cruse control light but after few hours of break everything was fine again. Next day i can't start car at 6am morning.
Starter is ok, relays and fuses too, code reader pass with NO ERROR CODES, self test mode pass with NO ERROR CODES and i'm stuck. I took off computer from car for diagnose at dealership, but they want me to bring whole car
Towing is about $200 plus $135 for diagnose and additional repair costs.
Anybody had that and found cheaper way to run it again?
Thanks

Old 11-24-07, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
whoa,

If your headlights flicker simply by turning on lights and not turning on any other switch or ignition, you simply have a poor connection at battery, or in that main circuit, plain and simple. You also have to check the actual battery cable strands that are sandwiched inside the terminal iteslf as this area can turn green and lose good contact.

And also the ground wire terminal in same fashion, and that ground wire to engine is good and that you also have ground strap between engine and car body, sometimes is jumpered between engine and firewall with a strap. But the ground circuit is an easy test to jumper for just your lights, so you can tell. Use your one jumper cable to connect between car body anywhere and the negative battery terminal and then see if the lights still flicker or not. But then do same test with jumper off to make sure you just did not catch it at a time it's not doing it.

Old 11-25-07, 07:20 AM
another unusual sympton:

when I open door the ignition bells start ringing even though the key is not in ignition.

Old 11-25-07, 10:38 AM
Do your headlights flicker JUST by turning on the headlights and turning on nothing else?: And do this test with the door closed. This is a very important question because at least the way they used to wire cars, the way the juice exits the battery, the cables split and part goes for starter/ignition and other controls while there also is an immediate split going to the lights.

Therefore, if the lights also flicker, along with other symptoms, without you touching anything else but the headlight switch, the cause must be early on after or right at the battery.

Your last post is now leading me to believe that if the problem does not lie right at a battery connection, that it lies right after this where say power feeds directly into a computer, and there perhaps is this short or bad connection, that then would cause this intermitant draw from the battery in sort of a pulsing action every time it connects properly then disconnects again, that also can cause something even UPstream, like the lights, to be affected.

Without seeing a wiring diagram, it would appear to me your problem was at or after the battery, but before the ignition switch.

A schematic sure would come in handy.

Have you made any attempt to grab and jiggle the battery terminal wires or wires that are just beyond the battery (usually massive number of them), at even computer on fender or look for signs battery acid or salt spray ate into something.

Old 03-10-08, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by whoachubby View Post
another unusual sympton:

when I open door the ignition bells start ringing even though the key is not in ignition.
Did you fix this problem? My 02 Caravan is doing the same thing... no start. bells chime without ke even in. Any solution? thanks.

Old 03-10-08, 02:59 PM
Ever try to jiggle or move the ignition switch around a little? Mine can do the same things sometimes, and I just have to grab the metal outer rim of where you put the key in and move it some, and it stops. Also a Dodge.

Old 03-11-08, 01:55 PM
A few birdys around here have told me................

That there caravans were FAMOUS for worn ignition switches causing issues................thats where I would go babe! They too had intermitant problems.

Old 03-14-08, 08:57 PM
A few things to consider.

1. run a hot wire directly to the starter to insure that the starter while crank and the engine should then run. If so you could even install your own remote starter relay connection directly to the starter untill you find the problem..

2. check the safety starter lockout circuit. There is a sensor on the trans that might be disconnected or faulty to which you can bypass to check.

3. check starter relay and fuse. You can actually swap out the relay underneath the hood with another like number relay temporarily. Or you can hook up a test light to see if the starter relay is being powered when you turn the switch.

Old 09-24-11, 07:50 PM
Have a 2002 Dodge Caravan that wont start. Smells of gas after trying to get it to turn over. I dont touch the gas pedal when trying to turn it over. Battery is fine. Tried several keys....even a ford key which turns in the ignition and cranks the starter but wont fire up the engine. Whats up?