Interesting axle job

Old 11-26-07, 05:22 PM
Interesting axle job

Just helped a friend swap his front cv axles on a Suzuki Esteem. We started with the passenger side, got everything out of the way, and went to pop the axle from the tranny. Never seen it take 1 hour with a prybar to get the thing to pop out, but it came. Reassemble, vent, break time.

Drivers side. After struggling with the most twisted cotter pin I've ever seen(on the tie rod) 45 minutes later, we had everything disconnected and this axle popped out from the tranny on the first try. NOW, the fun part. We go to slide the new axle in, it seems to be going in just fine, and all of the sudden its stuck half way in the tranny. Won't go in, won't come back out. Wiggle, slight pry, slight tap with a rubber mallet, won't budge. So an hour later we finally get it back out and see whats going on. The damn retaining clip/ring somehow got caught in the tranny. So after successfully fighting to get the ring out blind eyed, we checked out the axle. The "teeth" on the spline were a bit chewed so we decided to steal the housing from the old axle. Somehow in the mix(6 hours in) we get tired and end up putting on the chewed up housing by accident with a new clip and it slides right in without a question. Go figure. Miracles and mysteries of the garage continue.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-07, 08:13 PM
Is that why they recommend to replace the clip before inserting a new shaft? I replaced mine but I thought it was unnecessary.

Old 11-27-07, 08:47 PM
Ya, but the axles came with new clips, apparently defective.

Old 11-28-07, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
I can top that. A few years back I had to replace shafts on wife's previous Camry. Could not get the left side to go into the splines past the retaining ring. Turned out the splines at the end of the shaft (the 1/4" or so past the ring) were slightly out of alignment with the splines further up the shaft. Don't ask me how the reman guys managed that. Had to Dremel the teeth slightly to get it to align (this was a Sunday and job had to get done, no chance of swapping the axle.

Old 11-28-07, 07:49 AM
Nice, never had any trouble with it popping out after shaving it? My buddy is concerned his might, and I told him its very doubtful. If it slid in that far and locked in, it should be good.

Old 11-28-07, 10:26 AM
Interesting axle job

Heh, reminds me of a '98 Eagle AWD (shudder) I had to put a clutch in a few years back.

Apparently, the owner liked to park her car in the ocean, or something.
I couldn't get the splines out of the wheel bearings - on either side - even with cherry red hot 'convincing'.

The car ended up with a new clutch kit and a double front knuckle-ectomy.

That's probably the worst one I've ever done.

Old 11-28-07, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mahnarch View Post
Heh, reminds me of a '98 Eagle AWD (shudder) I had to put a clutch in a few years back.

Apparently, the owner liked to park her car in the ocean, or something.
I couldn't get the splines out of the wheel bearings - on either side - even with cherry red hot 'convincing'.

The car ended up with a new clutch kit and a double front knuckle-ectomy.

That's probably the worst one I've ever done.
Actually, I own a 95 GST project. Worst axle job that I've ever done. 30 minutes of sledge hammering, than grinding with an angle grinder to get the splines out of the hub. Then broken bolts to follow. Car was down for 3 weeks. The job above was easy compared to mine, heheh. It's a common problem for the splines to be rust welded in DSM's, not enough lube used during assembly is what I heard.

Pics:

Old 11-28-07, 01:43 PM
Grinders, cutting torch, BBBIIIGGG Hammer. Go DIY!

Old 11-28-07, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Didn't have a puller you could use or was it too much even for that?

Old 11-28-07, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Didn't have a puller you could use or was it too much even for that?
After reading multiple other threads/experiences, people had better success with a sledge than using a 10-tonne press.

And ya, GO DIY!

Old 11-28-07, 04:29 PM
That's my favorite tool # J108. My second is a wrecking bar.

Old 11-29-07, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Ah, yessss, the indispensible BFH.

Going off on a tangent; world's most indispensible tools:

Large hammer
ViceGrips
Wrecking bar