Motor oil in tranny?

Old 12-01-07, 06:32 AM
Motor oil in tranny?

Yesterday, I accidently added about 2 ounces of 30wt. motor oil into the tranny of our 91 cavalier, before realizing I had the wrong can in my hand. NOW do I need to have it towed to garage to get it totally emptied or, will it damage anything? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-07, 06:56 AM
Motor oil doesn't work very well in a transmission, but the ratio what you have in it to the other transmission fluid is pretty small. I wouldn't go to the expense of having it towed. I would add some automatic transmission fluid conditioner to bring it up to level and call it good.

If you haven't changed the fluid/filter in the car and you wanted some peace of mind you could have the transmission serviced, but still, I wouldn't tow it anywhere just because of the two oz of motor oil.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-01-07, 06:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you haven't started the engine after doing this, the engine oil is still in the tranny pan. There should be a bolt that you remove on the pan to drain the pan.

Old 12-01-07, 07:22 AM
On this car, you will need to drop the transmission pan to drain the fluid, and replace the pan gasket, unfortunatley. Would be a good time to replace the transmission filter though.

Old 12-01-07, 06:12 PM
tranny drain

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
If you haven't started the engine after doing this, the engine oil is still in the tranny pan. There should be a bolt that you remove on the pan to drain the pan.
I've only seen this drain on heavy duty trucks , 2500 and 3500 , not on regular cars.