Rear Wiper Motor

Old 12-02-07, 12:12 AM
Question Rear Wiper Motor

Montana 2003.

Rear wiper motor makes a "humming noise" when I throw the switch but the blade does not move. It seems to be that the wiper blade is stuck. Dealership advise motor replacement ($350 + Tax) Parts store do a motor for $147+Tax. I do not know where the motor is located and I can find no way to remove the inner plastic "skin" on the rear door. Real dummy when it coes to motor stuff!

Appreciate any help from guys with the knowhow.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by bridjon View Post
Montana 2003.

Rear wiper motor makes a "humming noise" when I throw the switch but the blade does not move. It seems to be that the wiper blade is stuck. Dealership advise motor replacement ($350 + Tax) Parts store do a motor for $147+Tax. I do not know where the motor is located and I can find no way to remove the inner plastic "skin" on the rear door. Real dummy when it coes to motor stuff!

Appreciate any help from guys with the knowhow.
Many times on rear wipers, the arm itself is not fully attached to the motor. If the arm is held on by a nut (there may be a plastic cap covering it) the nut might be loose. If you are hearing the motor make noise, there is a good chance it is just fine. Check the arm before buying a motor.

Old 12-02-07, 08:51 AM
Motors are known to go bad on these vans. Very easy to replace. First, remove the liftgate pull handle. The panel is held on with push in type fasteners, and make some noise when they come out, so do get spooked. You'll need to pull the panel down a little to be able to see the fasteners, so you'll know where to pry with a big screw driver and medium prybar. I just grab the panel and pull down with my hands and it comes off. Once off, you will see the wiper motor. close the lift gate and remove the wiper arm, with a 13mm wrench or socket. You will need to wiggle the arm around to free it from the wiper motor stud. Once that is off, you will see a plastic nut securing the motor to the glass. I just use pliers or channel locks to loosen it, then spin it off with your fingers. Once that is off, open the lifgate. There are 2
10mm bolts holding the wiper motor to the liftgate. Take them out and disconnect the wire connector from the motor. It's simple, .

Search this Thread