ignition module

Old 12-04-07, 04:43 PM
ignition module

91 chevy corsica 3.1 V6 157,000 miles on it. I know what the promlem is, because it happened again today. The first time it did not start was in the rain. Me and my dad towed the car to school to get it fixed. we never touch any thing exept for the fact that i pull the spark plug out to see it it had spark. for a sec it did not spark then it fired up. My car Does not start, there is no spark. It is the ignition module. I beleave that this one may be done for good but i hope not. i can buy one new for 110 at auto zone.

My car is setting in a parking lot at with a dead engine!!

i would like to know your thoughs about this.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 08:04 PM
ignition module

It's only two things, either the ignition module or the coil. I had the same problem but I replace both so I don't know which of the two was the problem. lol

Been running and starting great since then. Also got the from Auto Zone, NAPA is much higher in price.

Duke of ....

Duke of ....

Old 12-09-07, 08:03 AM
we Sent the ignition module to Napa an they said it was good. My teacher beleaves it is the crank sensor. so we are going to test it before we take it out.
and once i put the ingition module and coil pack back on it had spark but the car did not start.

Old 12-09-07, 09:03 AM
Exclamation Sensor

I had the same symtoms on a 88 Nissan Sentra.
It was the crank angle sensor. $400 later, it ran great again.

Old 12-09-07, 07:41 PM
It very easily could be the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor is in a quite difficult place to get to and most likely will break badly when you try to take it out.
Does your school have diagnostic equipment? If so. try to see if there are codes stored that will lead you in the correct direction before you break something that is not bad.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 12-10-07, 05:54 PM
He has a scanner but my car is to old to use it on. He does have this one tool were we can hook it up to the the wire and see if gives off a number or OL if it is bad. This also tells ohms and other stuff. I can't put a name to this tool as you can see. (maybe volt meter)

we tested the crank sensor wire and recived the OL reading so we were going to take the wire harness out but we did not get that far yet. (only had so much time to work)

No kidding that is a very tight space to work with. very irritating

Old 12-11-07, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Should be able to DIY a basic code read on your OBD-I:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Old 12-11-07, 09:38 AM
I already knew how to pull codes from the computer. It just never gave me any. We pulled oil pan off so we could pull out the crank sensor. That sensor was cranked in to places so i am hoping that this will fix it.. i just wanted your thoughts as i worked on it. I will still update this if it runs or not.

Old 12-12-07, 08:31 AM
Car runs

The car runs now after replacing the crank sensor and now all we have to do is find a way to keep the wiring connecter from falling out of the ignition module (CLIP BROKE) then button the car up.

Old 12-12-07, 09:29 AM
Glad you got it! Zip ties work great for holding wires together when the retainers break. If I dont have a new connector available I will sometimes use this technique. I take small zip ties and put one around each end of the wiring next to the connector... Dont tighten them yet run a couple more between the first 2 on each side of the connector and then tighten them down... Next snug up the last 2 ties and you have a nice tight connection. Sometimes if the connector is a fairly big one, I will put 2 ties together on each side and then snug them up, that way you have more zip tie to work with. I hope this wasnt too confusing... LOL
Billy

Search this Thread