Push start 2001 Silverado

Old 12-06-07, 07:41 AM
Push start 2001 Silverado

I tried this a few times with no success. I did it before just fine it my 1997 Cavalier with no issues. However, I have some kind of anti theft light that flashes when I try this. It is not possible on this vehicle? Or do I need to disable the theft system somehow? The owners manual doesn't cover it from what I can tell.

I don't have any real need to do so, I just wanted to satisfy my own curiosity that it would work.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-07, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
I tried this a few times with no success. I did it before just fine it my 1997 Cavalier with no issues. However, I have some kind of anti theft light that flashes when I try this. It is not possible on this vehicle? Or do I need to disable the theft system somehow? The owners manual doesn't cover it from what I can tell.

I don't have any real need to do so, I just wanted to satisfy my own curiosity that it would work.
Well why would you want to push start the truck in the first place ? when I was a Kid i used to see people doing that but this is the 21st century come on, also only 2 reasons to do that would be a dead batt or a bad starter in which case it'd be much easier fix those issues to start with IMHO.

Old 12-07-07, 12:53 PM
I want to know how in case I have a dead battery or a bad starter. Or alternatively, because I can (but then again, maybe not with this factory theft system tied to the ignition).

This is just an "inquiring minds want to know" question. If I actually had one of those conditions wrong, I would get it fixed in relatively short order.

Old 12-07-07, 02:02 PM
fair enough

ok thats a valid question no doubt I was just asking thats all,
once a mechanic told me that by doing the push start thing you could damage the timing chain on your engine it makes sense but I dont know if its actually truth or not , ok have a nice day

Old 01-16-08, 09:49 AM
Thought I would bump this up to see if I can figure this one out.

Search this Thread