4t60 transmission wont down shift

Old 12-08-07, 10:08 AM
4t60 transmission wont down shift

Hi. I'm new here. I am having trouble with a 1990 cadillac trans. The trans will shift through all gears fine. It doesn't slip. what is happening is when I slow down and then accelerate it acts like it is neutral, the engine races. When I let of the gas the trans shifts down and works. Ive looked for the t.v. cable or kick down. I dont think this trans has one. I would look at the vacuum control module, but the trans shifts up fine. If I slowly accelerate, I can feel the trans down shift. It only happens when I punch it, When it should down shift. I've changed the filter and flushed the fluid. There was not alot of metal or junk in the pan. I am thinking that it could be the valve body acting up. Can someone give me a idea? Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-07, 08:26 AM
Ive forgotten to add that the trans hesitates when shifting from park to drive. It goes right into reverse, but takes awhile to shift into drive. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the side cover of this trans? Do I have to remove the drivers side drive shaft? Will removing the valve body and cleaning, and inspecting it even help with my problem? The trans is in a 1990 caddilac seville with a 4.5 l engine.

Old 12-09-07, 09:08 AM
Trans.

It's hard to diagnose a problem with out seeing inside it.

When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed?
What color is the fluid-burnt??
A complete flush might help-there might be blockage in the valve body. From what you describe, it is slipping from park to reverse. Won't go into D without hesitating.
Not shifting down properly is an issue.

Post back with your findings.

Old 12-09-07, 12:03 PM
I just removed the pan and flushed the system. I installed a new filter. the fluid was burnt a little, but Ive seen worse. The trans does not slip in forward and reverse. It only acts up when down shifting. It does hesitate when shifting from neutral to drive. It does not shift into drive emmediately. There was not alot of garbage in the bottom of the pan when I pulled it. I have read that this particular trans has both a t.v. cable and a vacuum modulator, I have looked on the throttle body and could not locate a t.v. cable.

Old 12-10-07, 06:10 PM
I just found and adjusted the t.v. cable(or kick down cable) after the adjustment the transmission shifts fine. You know I took this car to a supposedly reputable trans shop in my area and the guy quoted me 1800 dollars for a rebuilt trans. After I told him that the car wasn't worth it, he tried to buy it from me. Thanks for the help and beware of shysters.