Installing fog lights

Old 09-18-09, 06:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing fog lights

I have a 98 ford windstar and i'm trying to install some fog lights on it.There is a factory harness plug-in just in front of my radiator to the drivers side. I was told that could be and auxiliary plug in for fog lights or etc. I found the position where evidently the fuse for the fog lights go,position 17.Now do i need a relay and does it plug into the relay box located by the fuses? I already grounded the lights.Now i'm wondering what else i need to do.
If i put a fuse in the 17,fog light position by the owners guide should that make the front auxilary plug-in hot?If so where does the relay come in?
Ok,now that i've put the cart before the horse cause i don't know much about it i'm guessing about all this.
Fact is i don't really want the fog lights on all the time like my owners manual related to about this. Thanks for any input as I'm definitely puzzled. Thanks.

Old 09-19-09, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
From the fuse location, cut the hot wire (with the fuse pulled), and install your switch and relay. That way the current will flow from the fuse, to the switch, to the relay and then on to the lights.

Old 09-19-09, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Ya, I have looked under my hood and scratched my head over the same thing on an '05 Grand Caravan.
What I am wondering is where the connector is under the dash to hook up the switch.

Old 09-19-09, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing fog lights

What hot wire are you talking about? Also can i install the relay in the spot the owners manual says it is supposed to be for fog lights,no.17 spot?Also the owners manual relay diagram where the fog light relay shows there is an arrow to the left and right.What do the arrows mean?Thanks for your info.

Old 09-19-09, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I believe in addition to plugging in a relay you need to find the wire, likely near the front of the vehicle that is connected to the relay.
You also need to find the wire under the dash that would normally be connected to the aux light switch to activate the relay.

The wires are likely there in the harness that would be connected to the lights if you had that option you just have to find them.
You would need a wiring diagram that showed the wire number and/or color.

Not a simple plug and play job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: