Generator To Altrenator

Old 12-08-07, 01:13 PM
Generator To Altrenator

On My Old Ford Tractor I Have Installed AN Alternator In Place Of The Generator , Everything Is Set Up Right But Not Sure On How To Hook Up Wire From Ignition , Should It Go To The Field Or The R Post. Hope You Can Help , Louie

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-07, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The alternator has a built in regulator, so you won't need the one used by the generator. Be aware, however, unless you installed a 6 volt alternator, which I doubt, you will have to buy a step down block to step your voltage down from 12 volts to 6 volts. Either that, or be ready to change out your light bulbs, and your instrument bulbs, as they will blow the first time you turn on the engine. Just out of curiosity, what model tractor are you working on. Love the old ones. Had a 9n on my previous farm, and use a 640 now.

Old 12-08-07, 07:40 PM
601 ford

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
The alternator has a built in regulator, so you won't need the one used by the generator. Be aware, however, unless you installed a 6 volt alternator, which I doubt, you will have to buy a step down block to step your voltage down from 12 volts to 6 volts. Either that, or be ready to change out your light bulbs, and your instrument bulbs, as they will blow the first time you turn on the engine. Just out of curiosity, what model tractor are you working on. Love the old ones. Had a 9n on my previous farm, and use a 640 now.
its a 601 ford , had 6 volt gen. everything else was 12 volt?

Old 12-08-07, 08:00 PM
601 ford tractor

my tractor had a 6volt gen. everything else was 12 volt ,so i changed the positive ground on the battery to negative and installed a 12 volt alternator, i just need to know what post to put the ignition wire to the field or the R. on the back of the alternator , its a 601 ford that a freind of mine give me. 4 cyl. gas runs good

Old 12-09-07, 06:22 AM
Good tractor. Just eliminate the regulator. You probably have a one wire alternator, is that correct?

Old 12-09-07, 12:21 PM
The field post is on the alternator to excite the alt and tell it to charge. It needs to see voltage for the alt to charge. I am not sure I understand what you mean by ignition wire. For this alternator to work it needs a wire connected to the field wire to sense battery voltage and excite alternator to charge.

Old 12-09-07, 12:43 PM
You excite generators, you blow diodes in alternators.

Old 12-09-07, 12:50 PM
Thank You Very Much Kelly, Thats What I Was Looking For, What I Meant By Ingition Wire Was The Hot Side When Ignition Key Is On . Louie

Old 12-09-07, 02:24 PM
I believe the R stands for regulator on the back of the alt. The field stands for magnetic field. The alternator needs help at first to create a magnetic field. The field expands and contracts to create an alternating current. GM alternators have a internal regulator. older ford alternators have a external regulator hence the R post. You will need to change all bulbs and any other appliances run by elecrticity to twelve volts. six volt wiring is very heavy duty, you will not have to change any wiring. Make sure your starter is 12 volt.

Old 12-09-07, 04:03 PM
ok so what should i do now, i have the + side of the battery going to the + on the back of the alternator , i have a + wire going to the field on the alternator from the ignition switch .now what do i do with the r post on the back of the alternator ? thanks louie

Old 12-09-07, 04:18 PM
is the alt internally or externally regulated? If it is an old motorcraft it will be and externally regulated alt. If it is internally regulated that is all you need. crank it up and check to make sure it is charging. Im leaving for the night and probably wont be by a computer

Old 12-11-07, 07:21 PM
cabin filter

can someone tell me if my 1995 chev. 1/2 ton 5.7 motor , 4 wheel drive has an cabin filter and if so how do i find the thing ,.......thanks louie

Old 09-16-09, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by kellyracing View Post
I believe the R stands for regulator on the back of the alt. The field stands for magnetic field. The alternator needs help at first to create a magnetic field. The field expands and contracts to create an alternating current. GM alternators have a internal regulator. older ford alternators have a external regulator hence the R post. You will need to change all bulbs and any other appliances run by elecrticity to twelve volts. six volt wiring is very heavy duty, you will not have to change any wiring. Make sure your starter is 12 volt.
Kelly-

If it's a Delco 10SI (by far, the most popular alternator ever made by GM), the "R" terminal is an AC tap that connects directly to the stator. Not exactly sure what this does- I've heard from everything from tachometer for engine CPU, to Field relay switch (on older 10DN models), to defogger switch, to whatever.

If it's a three-wire, then the red wire in Pin 1 goes to the battery's (+) terminal for accurate voltage sensing (assuming any amount of voltage drop on the main output wire). The brown wire at Pin 2 goes (via the idiot light) to the ignition circuit. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 09-16-09, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by LOUIEANDLYNN View Post
my tractor had a 6volt gen. everything else was 12 volt ,so i changed the positive ground on the battery to negative and installed a 12 volt alternator, i just need to know what post to put the ignition wire to the field or the R. on the back of the alternator , its a 601 ford that a freind of mine give me. 4 cyl. gas runs good
I know a lot of old Ford products originally had the 6 volt positive grounded electrical systems. One thing you mentioned raised a caution flag in my mind. You mention that you are changing over the positive grounded system to the more traditional negative grounded system. Most DC motors will spin in the opposite direction when polarity is reversed. Will the starter motor still crank the tractor engine in the right direction with a negative grounded electrical system? You might want to check this before getting too heavily invested in this project.

Old 09-16-09, 12:45 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Good tractor. Just eliminate the regulator. You probably have a one wire alternator, is that correct?

it does't sound like a one wire alt., but if it were me, that is what i would use. makes life SOOOOO simple!!!

Old 09-18-09, 08:11 AM
ford tract

Changing the polarity of the system will not cause the starter to run backwards. And you can use the 6v starter with out any problems. You will however need to switch the wires on the coil as running the current thru it backwards drops its output greatly. And if you leave the 6v coil on you will need a resistor.
You can get a self exciting regulator and all you need to hook to tha alt. is a batt wire. You have to race the motor at start up to get it started charging but from then on you are OK. This eliminates jumpers,motor running with switch shut off, and all the other quirks.