HELP!! 2002 F150 4x4 clicking noise in 4wd

Old 12-09-07, 08:46 PM
HELP!! 2002 F150 4x4 clicking noise in 4wd

My lady bought a 2002 Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab (4 door) brand new that she uses as a car. She simply has to have a vehicle that sits that high to be able to get in and out of without a problem, as she has hip problems. She doesn't take it off the road, or any of the things we guys are known to do to trucks. It has the big 8 cylinder, auto tranny and full power. She's probably only driven it 1,500 out of its 67,000 miles in 4wd, and has never been stuck in snow, mud, or anything else to aggravate it. That said, the transmission had to be rebuilt this past spring at about 57,000 miles. (No warranty, of course. Ford's 1st better idea)

Tonight, driving home during an ice storm, I turned the knob to 4wd High, and this god awful clicking noise started, which almost sounded like an engine with a broken rod. I don't think the 4wd even engaged. I came to a complete stop, tried 4wd Low, but the same noise, and still not sure it was engaged.

I came to a complete stop, tried 4wd High again; no apparent increase in traction, the same clicking noise, and even when turning the dial back to 2wd High (while moving), the clicking didn't stop until the truck was almost completely stopped.

What the heck is wrong with this thing??? It's good looking, nice riding, handling, and very powerful. But I'm starting to think they built this thing in a Yugo factory, the way it can't seem to stand up to a little woman driving it primarily on state highways and servicing it religiously!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-07, 03:53 AM
Four wheel drive components need constant service done to them. I would jack the front end up and make sure that all of the components are complete and not broken or
worn out. I would check shafts,universals and transfer case and the hubs for anything unusual.
I have never had automatic hubs on any of my vehicles. So I always knew when they were locked or not.
Many times it can just be the transfer case not engaging completly or something simple.

Good luck

Old 12-10-07, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would add that it is a good idea to engage 4 wheel drive once a month [even when not needed] This helps to keep everything lubricated.

I agree with the previous advice. Have you tried engaging the 4 wheel while barely moving in reverse. That usually helps when you have problems disengaging the 4 wheel.

Old 12-10-07, 05:23 AM
I'm a small engine guy. I will know a bad universal if I see it, but I don't even know what to look for regarding hub damage. I'll stop by the local library today and see what the Chilton namual shows. I was just hoping someone was familiar with the symptoms. I just can't believe how many issues (non warranty, of course) this pretty truck has had at 67,000 miles, compared to my 200,000 mile S-10 Blazer, which by the way, I plow with and still has all its original, untouched driveline....

Old 12-10-07, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd check first to make sure it is fully engaging in 4 wheel. I know next to nothing about automatic hubs but have repaired/replace quite a few ford locking hubs.

Jack the front end up and with 4 wheel disengaged you should be able to turn the front driveshaft and both axles/wheels. This should help to rule out any play in the front drive. With manual locking hubs you can lock one side and rotate the tire/axle to check the hub. I'm not sure how you would do this with an automatic hub

I've got both chilton and haynes manuals but I don't remember which one goes into the most detail.

Old 12-14-07, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I drive a Ram3500 with the cummings engine and 4wd. The only problem I had with the hubs engaging was the vacuum hose having a small hole in it. Likewise I engaged it one time and the gosh awful clunking began. All 4 flange bolts sheared on the 4wd shaft. Easy fix, but PITA. Check the flange bolts and ujoints as well as vacuum hoses. Oh, yeah, check the flanges and u joints with the vehicle in neutral, parking brake off and wheels chocked in both directions. Any tension on the drive components won't show slack properly.