Overheating Issue

Old 12-10-07, 02:16 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overheating Issue

Ok took my car to a mechanic after it overheated and lost all the fluid in the resovior. He said there wasn't a leak. He said that fluid boiled over in the resovior and came out. What would cause this?

Old 12-10-07, 02:40 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A mechanic that doesn't know what he's talking about could cause it. There is no heat source in the reservoir, hence something else caused the overheating.

Old 12-10-07, 02:47 PM
K
well perhaps i didn't explain that enough, he said that hot fluid flowed back into the resovior and showed me this little stem thing that it flowed out of.

Old 12-10-07, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would start with the basics and change the thermostat. If that does not solve it, you may have a clogged radiator and/or heater core.

Old 12-10-07, 06:26 PM
M
What kind of vehicle, which engine?

Old 12-10-07, 06:38 PM
E
Your OP description could have been put better so we'd know what you wean by leakign out. Leaking out of radiator into the reservoir?, or leaking out of the reservoir itself? Or both?

Coolant can't boil over into reservoir and then leak out of reservoir. Not unless the reservoir tank has a hole in it.

Weird directional flows of coolant regarding the overflow, and perhaps air bubbles present in reservoir when motor is not even hardly warmed up yet, and general coolant loss can also signify a blown head gasket, and this will then cause overheating also.

Stuck shut thermostat will cause engine to overheat without even your seeing coolant circulation in radiator when cap is removed - and another sign is that the upper radiator hose will be relatively cool, even though the engine is hot.

Old 12-11-07, 12:15 PM
K
1994 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cylinder 2.5 L

It flowed back into the resovior and he showed me on the top of the resovior bottle is a little hook with an outlet. Which as he put it released fluid out of the vehicle. When i asked him what would cause that he said it probally was the thermostat which may have stayed closed too long. He told me that it is probally only a one time incident but if it happens again to let him know.

I'm just asking for second opinons. The head gasket was replaced a little over a year ago.

Old 12-11-07, 01:06 PM
F
What you describe doesn't sound normal. If it is a thermostat that stayed closed too long - change the thermostat! Why do want to take a chance that it might fail completely next time?

And find another mechanic, one that's willing to watch out for you.

Old 12-11-07, 02:41 PM
E
Yes, to Formula. Because those little Dodge 2.2's and 2.5's like to blow their head gaskets any chance they can. So don't help it along.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: