replaced battery 1996 Mazda 626 with 60,000 mi

Old 12-11-07, 09:04 AM
replaced battery 1996 Mazda 626 with 60,000 mi

I hadn't noticed i just slipped past NY state inspection date. Unfortunately the mechanic (my own fault) noticed I needed the inspection after replacing the battery. He said because of this, the emissions readings from the computer were reset and I had to drive it 150 miles in order to get the required NYS emissions readings to pass inspection. He gave me a 10 day extension fo the NY state inspection. Problem is -I drive the car less than 8 miles a day. Is it true that I'd need to drive 150 miles for the required readings, etc?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-07, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most likely he is correct. This is to be sure that the work done to bring the vehicle up to inspections was a good fix and no problems have came back.

I'm pretty sure when he gave you that extension, he logged your mileage into a computer that is accessible by any inspection station. The only suggestion would be to:

A- drive the car more

or the least advicable,

B- put the car up on jacks and put vehicle in drive for awhile.

Old 12-16-07, 05:56 PM
another 10 day extension

luckily i have a relative that works at DMV, i should be able to get a 10 day extension since I only reached 80 miles throughout the first 10 day extension