Lifter question

Old 12-12-07, 09:24 AM
Lifter question

Yesterday I went to look at a Mercury Capri with a turbo, 4 cylinder mazda engine.
We went to the guys storage place where I was told the car hadn't been started in about 2 months. The car started on the first crank but the lifters were sounding off. I realize when a car sits that long the oil drains from the lifters. Anyway after about one minute the car was running stone quiet.
Should I concern myself that there was an initial racket?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-07, 10:00 AM
The lifter noise after sitting for that long isn't a concern if it quieted down. However, if you had that type of noise after each startup, it would be a problem and I would stay away from that engine.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-12-07, 10:36 AM
Bob, thanks much for the quick reply. I told the guy I would give him an answer this week and wanted to make sure I would not get into trouble.
I shut the car down after a 30 minute or so test drive in which everything went smoothly and all worked as it should. I spoke to the guy for about half an hour and then restarted it and it started quietly.
What would be the problem if it did this all the time? I'm thinking the cam would be shot.

Old 12-12-07, 12:05 PM
Not the cam, but rather the lifters. Sounds to me as if what you experienced is totally normal - after sitting for a long, long period of time, the oil in the hydraulic lifters drained out of them, making them clatter until they pumped back up to pressure.... Once there - they remained relatively pressurized through the next starting cycle - which is what they're supposed to do....

Old 12-12-07, 12:36 PM
If you had a condition where the lifters pumped up and held, then bled back down (all of them doing this would unusual) the lifters would have to either be worn out or sludged to sticking to partially open.

If you had a worn out cam you could have noisey lifters, but they wouldn't pump up and drain back down. Also a bad cam would give you a host of other problems during running.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-12-07, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies and as I explained the car was under cover in a indoor starage facility and made a racket upon initial startup and after the car was driven abd sgut down the car started quietly after half hour of coversation.
So as I'm reading I should not be afraid of this? Am I correct?

Old 12-12-07, 02:37 PM
Based on what you've described, the lifters shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-12-07, 02:53 PM
nap
just to reassure yourself, before making a 100% committment, I would go to the car after it sat at least 1 full day (and overnight) and restart it. If you can, you might wait for a couple days or so. If there is no lifter noise at that time, you should be good to go. If there is noise, I would be hesitant.

Old 12-13-07, 09:52 AM
lifter drainback after an overnight soak could be something as simple as a cheap or wrong application oil filter or the engine could have an anti drainback valve somewhere (can you say Quad-4).

the last poster is essentially correct, if it clatters after a day or two, it may have an issue. some clatter after extended sitting is not abnormal

Old 12-13-07, 10:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped me and gave good advice.
This morning I went back to the car after sitting overnight and there was no lifter noise.
I'm going to bring the car out to my land in Arizona and use it as a toad vehicle with my motorhome. A little topless fun.
I will change oil/filters and do a full maintaince when I get it to Az.
Thanks again everyone, I feel better now. I'm an older type car guy who's lost concerning newer cars with FI and computers.

Old 12-13-07, 05:03 PM
lifter drainback after an overnight soak could be something as simple as a cheap or wrong application oil filter
Why would an oil filter have anything to do with lifter drainback?

Old 12-13-07, 08:50 PM
some engine applications have the oil drainback valve located in the filter...in fact, many newer vehicles require them.

Old 12-13-07, 09:00 PM
That would keep the oil from draining back into the filter, but what would keep the oil from the upper end from draining into the lower end?