Gurggling/Swooshing sound (2003 Nissan Altima)

Old 12-13-07, 08:49 AM
Gurggling/Swooshing sound (2003 Nissan Altima)

2003 Nissan Altima
4 cyl
108,000 miles

Yup...that kind of sound in my car. Passenger side, way at the right of the engine. I can hear it only when I press the gas. Anyone know what it is? I don't know how else to describe it but it sounds like water being poured down a drain or something and it swooshes and/or gurggles.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 09:33 AM
check the coolant level in the radiator. when the engine is cold, remove the rad cap and see if it's low, it should be all the way to the top. if it's not full, that's your noise. now find the leak and have it repaired.

Old 12-13-07, 10:04 AM
Thanks, will do and report.

IF there is a leak... is it DIY-able?

Old 12-13-07, 04:13 PM
If there's no visible leak and your coolant level is low, replace the radiator cap.

Old 12-14-07, 09:12 AM
Radiator is full.

Coolant level is always low. I've noticed I always have to fill it back up but the radiator is always full. No visible leaks.

Will replace radiator cap. ... unless I need to check for something else?

Old 12-14-07, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you say the radiator is full, is it completely full right up to the very top where the overflow tube is? The reason I ask is that on some radiators (like mine), the coolant level in the radiator can be way down, yet look like it is only down say 1 inch because there is a lip down there that is allowing coolant to pool there.

If coolant is being sucked out of your reservoir into your radiator (which must be happening _IF_ your radiator is truly always full, yet you have to keep adding), you'd think the cap would be sealing good enough to allow vacuum and coolant to be drawn back into the radiator everytime at engine cooldown. Unless of course, as I mentioned, the coolant level is really not as full as you think in the radiator.

Mine can appear down a tad, yet when I transfer coolant to the radiator with a turkey baster, out of the reservoir, I can add say 6-10 turkey basters worth to the radiator, until it finally raises all the way up to the very very top where the overflow tube is.

Old 12-14-07, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah...it's full. Definitely. To the top. If I recall right. Not even an inch down.

Hmmm...maybe I should try your turkey basting the radiator technique. However, I gotta fill my reservoir first since there's nothing in there.

Old 12-14-07, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blown head gaskets are good at making coolant disappear - and without having coolant mix with the oil, contrary to what many people think. That is if absolutely there is no external leak and you do not smell coolant in the cabin where say coolant is leaking from a heater core and wicking into the carpet.

My car has that problem, and my spark plug #3 is being "steam cleaned" (tell-tale sign is pure white, new- looking spark plug insulator inside the engine) by engine coolant getting burned through cylinder #3. I have to add about 3/4 quart coolant every 100-200 miles - it varies. And I had head gasket replaced 2 1/4 years ago, and have wondered if there is another source for a leak to mimmick head gasket, say like if there is a leak where the coolant goes through back of intake manifold to heat up the manifold/base of throttle body.

Old 09-05-13, 09:35 PM
Did you solve the problem? how?? I car hear that noise rarely. Thanks for your support

Old 09-06-13, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
None of the posters in this thread have been active for the last three years. If you have a similar problem, follow the suggestions. An air bubble in the heater core system can often give you this kind of noise.

Search this Thread