nissan pick up help needed

Old 12-13-07, 02:32 PM
nissan pick up help needed

1994 nissan pick up 4x4 6 cylinder standard.
3.0 engine.

engine idles fine. when driving about 30mph 3rd gear 2000-3000 rpm, wants to cut out, miss, bog.
no back fire, dont seem like alot of exhaust is coming out.

has new exhaust system, o2 sensor, plugs wires, new gas filter.

any ideas as to what to look for or what could be wrong.
will run fine but very few times and very little.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-07, 04:53 PM
also

also person who was following me said they could smell gas ??

Old 12-13-07, 06:03 PM
Ecu ?

have you checked the ecu for any error codes and if no codes ask a nissan techie from a dealership... hint... act smart like you work on cars a little bit more as a hobby than a backyard garage, and ask him what the problem is and your trying to figure out what the fuel issue if its the ecu just replace it with a reconditioned one or a used one... ask him what other things may cause it, may be an air sensor, could be the fuel pump getting an incorrect voltage pumping in gas for a higher rpm than what your doing when you shift. i had a 92 D12 and i just got rid of it after putting in a 300zx motor and removing the box as if i could fix it up... i cant fix a rotted frame no matter what you do unless you got a spare frame hiding in the garage somewhere its not possible, if this dont help dont worry im a backyard mech i try to stick to things i work on like cressida's and camry's and corina's

Old 12-14-07, 12:04 PM
ecu

how can I get a reading on what errors there might be.?
the check engine light is not on. the one shop told me they didnt have a code reader for 94 .

Old 12-14-07, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you experimented with other driving ranges, say while in 4th gear at same rpms? Or 2nd gear at same rpms's? No tach?; Otherwise if you do, list more accurately the rpms, as 2-3000 is quite the spread. That higher end of the rpm range could be drawing higher engine vacuum (as opposed to lower engine vacuum and more engine load as compared to 2000 rpm's) and maybe trying to suck air/fuel and can't very well, or is sucking in something it should not due to bad PCV.

Have you tried leaving off the air cleaner to rule out an intake damper that is staying shut or plugged air filter? That is where I would start, if me, as that is so easy and worth checking anyway. I had a vehicle once that was pulling in oil into the carb and pooling in and around the air filter. So it is nice just to take peek in there anyway, to see if all looks in order.

Old 12-15-07, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Old 12-16-07, 01:38 PM
codes

not sure what code this is ??
it flashed 2 times slow, then 3 times then 4 times 5 times then 1 flash ??
any help ?

Old 12-16-07, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe more than one code is being printed out? Maybe it is 2 double-digit codes.

Old 12-16-07, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
I had to go back and reread the code procedure at my link. Can't say Nissan exactly made it easy to pull codes. I think I would clear the codes (See Clearing Codes 88-94) and drive it a few miles to get codes again. Carefully reread the procedure for reading the codes (I had to read it three times and I'm still not sure I have it clearly) and try again to get them. Looks as though you are going to have to be real perceptive about the timing of the flashes in order to decipher them.

Working from the numbers you have could possibly give you
20, 34, 51 except that I don't see a code 20; 34 is a knock sensor and 51 is injector circuit. A 23 would be an "idle switch" (probably not a factor).

Knock sensor MIGHT be a player since what the knock sensor does is indicate a knock condition to the computer, which then retards the ignition timing to eliminate the knock. Had to replace the knock sensor and pigtail on my wrecker a couple of years ago, but I'm at a loss to remember what the symptoms were.

Old 12-17-07, 07:16 AM
codes

thanks, yes I am going to try it again, I had thought the injector leak error of the idle switch too.
will keep posted

Old 12-19-07, 03:11 PM
nissan

ok, had truck at a shop today. they did a fuel pressure test on it when driving, it would bog down and the fuel pressure would drop as low as 14 psi, from 35 range. Told me I need new fuel pump, is there something that could be telling the pump to reduce pressure or is pump probably going bad?
They are expensive so I just want to make sure before I get one, and has anyone uses an autoteq brand pump and how are they if so?

Old 12-20-07, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
About $250+ labor for the pump I'm guessing. Could also have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator, but that's not exactly cheap either, about $100. I'm guessing they would have checked the regulator. Wouldn't be unusual for a 13 year old vehicle to need a fuel pump.

Old 12-20-07, 12:04 PM
regulator

is there a way to check the regulator ??

Old 12-20-07, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Knew you were going to ask that; had to look it up because I really couldn't remember. One of the ways apparently is to simply pull the vacuum hose off. Under normal operation, the instruction said the pressure reading will go up by about 15 psi (and stay up because it's no longer being regulated). I don't think this would be something you would want to do and then drive the vehicle without an experienced mechanic doing it. The regulator being a vacuum/diaphagm operated item, the failure mode would be expected to be a failed diaphragm, so a basic check would be to apply a slight vacuum to the vacuum hose to see if it holds or leaks. This is often done on other vacuum operated devices by simply sucking on it slighty and then holding the vacuum with your tongue, but as this is a fuel system item you would probably want to use a vacuum pump or something like a sryinge so there's no danger of you sucking some gas. At the very least you could pull the hose off and see if you notice any gas; that would be a dead giveaway that it's bad.

Any of you other car geeks out there have anything to add?

Old 12-24-07, 09:06 AM
Finally running right

fuel pump changed and running good.

Old 12-24-07, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Figured it would, but I didn't want to get TOO optimistic. Good news is you should never have to do it again!

Old 12-25-07, 08:20 AM
fuel pump

lol, hope not. thanks for all the help.