77 Cougar Xr7 Heater Blower Motor Removal?

Old 12-14-07, 11:43 AM
77 Cougar Xr7 Heater Blower Motor Removal?

How many screws to remove the blower motor shrouding assembly from underneath the dash? I found two but it still wont come lose.

I've got the top and front of the dashboard removed. What's the trick to getting this assembly to release?

Are there hidden screws that require removal of the fender and fender well or the engine or A/C and heater cores to find?

This one is driving me nuts!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most vehicles have screws that go through the firewall as well, you might take a look.

Old 12-15-07, 05:22 AM
Thanks Mark; unfortunately I would have to move the engine forward to remove the A/C from the firewall to see if those screws are there.

I think I would rather cut a large hole in the right side of the car, replace the heater motor, and then weld the hole back together.

Old 01-01-08, 07:55 AM
1977 Cougar Xr7 Blower Motor Removal Proceedure

This takes 30 minutes.

On the inside of the car, remove one 7/16 nut near the bottom that secures the blower assembly to the firewall and one 7/16 nut near the top that secures the blower assembly underneath the dash board. Both nuts are clearly visible.

Under the hood, remove the one 7/16 firewall nut and the two screws at the top of the A/C evaporator cover. They are the only fasteners that are clearly visible in that area.

Remove attached tubing and wires.

Pull the heater assembly away from the firewall far enough to remove the blower assemblies only stud from the hole in the firewall and then twist down and clockwise to gain access to the blower motor. DO NOT use the blower assembly plastic floor vent grill as a grip -- the old plastic breaks easily.

The average price I've found for a new blower motor is $40 not including a $60 replacement with longer brushes and ball bearings for extended life.