98 Windstar: How do you lower spare?

Old 12-16-07, 08:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
98 Windstar: How do you lower spare?

Neighbor needs help ASAP. Wife drove toward home from work on flat tire, and it lost it's bead and went completely flat. Husband had to get her.

He says van has no owner's manual. He also called up auto parts store and they weren't 100% sure how to get spare tire down.

I told him it may have trap door hiding under back carpet somewhere that allows him to use tool to crank down the tire hanging from a cable, just as a guess.

Do any of you know how this is on this vehicle so that when he goes there later on, maybe in the dark later this aft, that he can save himself needless searching, or trying to loosen up some holding nut that does not have to be?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-07, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Neighbor needs help ASAP. Wife drove toward home from work on flat tire, and it lost it's bead and went completely flat. Husband had to get her.

He says van has no owner's manual. He also called up auto parts store and they weren't 100% sure how to get spare tire down.

I told him it may have trap door hiding under back carpet somewhere that allows him to use tool to crank down the tire hanging from a cable, just as a guess.

Do any of you know how this is on this vehicle so that when he goes there later on, maybe in the dark later this aft, that he can save himself needless searching, or trying to loosen up some holding nut that does not have to be?
The part I bolded is correct, open the rear hatch flip up the storage compartment on the floor and you should see a 3/4" nut. Turning the nut will lower/raise the spare

Old 12-16-07, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thank you. I called him up just now to tell him what you said. He thanks you. He wil go try in a while after his wife wakes up and she can look after the kids while he goes.

Search this Thread