01' Blazer no start.

Old 12-18-07, 06:40 AM
01' Blazer no start.

Wife took one kid to school this morning no problem. Came home got the other one out the door and the Blazer would not start. I came home, checked fuse and all looked fine. Shot the throttle body with starting fluid and it will fire up until the starting fluid burns off.

Is it possible for fuel line freeze up if she just drove it or am I replacing the fuel pump out in the cold today ?

2001 Chev Blazer 4x4
4.3l Vortek V6

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 10:40 AM
Some cars have a fuel shutoff if the car is bumped, see your owners manual first to see if you have one.
If that is not it disconnect the intake fuel line somewhere under the car, bring something to catch the fuel. If you have fuel then it's not the pump. If not it may be the pump also check your fuel filter as a dirty or frozen filter will stop you dead.

Old 12-18-07, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Don't think you have an inertial cut-off on the Blazer. Did you try the ear-to-the-fuel-filler-while-turning-key-on test?

Old 12-18-07, 08:05 PM
Gas line freeze can occur like you're describing, but it isn't likely the problem. If you were using a regular unleaded (no ethanol) and hadn't used any of the gas line antifreeze additives and the temperature got down into the single digits to sub zero, you would be a candidate for a frozen gas line. Anything in the teens usually won't do it.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-19-07, 04:21 AM
Well I went home early from work to attack the monster. Since I don't have a fuel pressure gage I did the old trick of powering up the fuel pump and depressed the scrader on the fuel rail. No pressure at all. So I get the beast up on my tall stands, drop the spare tire, remove the 6 lines and the filler tube. Drop the tank and replaced the fuel pump. Put it all back together and it fires right up. This job was such a joy. A 200 lb man turned into contortionist. At one point I had fit my fat head and arm between the axle and the body. I didn't think I was going to get back out. That would have made the culdisacs week to see a fire truck outside my house with the jaws of life to get me unstuck.
It's always an adventure to work on newer vehicles. I love my 79'.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-19-07, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Recently had to do the one on my wrecker; I'll trade you ANY day. It's a real dog and a 38 gal tank. I suspect it was a little warmer here, of course.

Old 12-19-07, 04:46 AM
Luckily it got up around 40. I just don't see why they ever started putting them inside the tank like that. I guess to discourage DIY repairs.

Old 12-19-07, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mattison,

Weren't you afraid of a possible gas explosion?, and what procedures did you take to ensure that would not happen?

Old 12-19-07, 07:47 AM
I didn't smoke any cigars while working.

Actually not a lot. I unhooked the battery just incase. Was kinda nevous here and there that something may spark it off but I've done this type of work most of my life and I'm naturally careful.

Old 12-19-07, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Fuel pump in tank

Not all are that hard. Thought my wifes Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) pump was was going, so checked it out ahead of time. Right under rear passenger seat, disconnect lines, pop out pump, new one in, connect lines. 30 min MAX, incl putting tools away. Theres at least one engineer with a clue!

Old 12-19-07, 12:14 PM
gas line freezing? you're kidding, right? the flash point of unleaded gasoline is -97 F. that means the freeze point is lower yet. my coworker comes from wisconsin...it gets really cold there...no stories of gasoline freezing. it's really frustrating trying to correct the misinformation that people give on top of solving diagnostic problems that are real.

Old 12-19-07, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by carguyinva View Post
gas line freezing? you're kidding, right? the flash point of unleaded gasoline is -97 F. that means the freeze point is lower yet. my coworker comes from wisconsin...it gets really cold there...no stories of gasoline freezing. it's really frustrating trying to correct the misinformation that people give on top of solving diagnostic problems that are real.
It's the water that may be in the fuel that freezes and last I checked that was at 32 degrees!?!

Old 12-19-07, 02:18 PM
yeah...at the bottom of the fuel tank. i only live in the mountains of VA...and 10 below is as cold as i've seen here...still no gas line freezing in my paltry 27 years.

Old 12-19-07, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
Luckily it got up around 40. I just don't see why they ever started putting them inside the tank like that. I guess to discourage DIY repairs.
One of the reasons they put the electric pump in the tank is because the pump is does not handle vapor well and in the tank it is kept cool far from the hot engine. Thats why modern cars don't have problems with vapor lock. The fuel also cools the pump, and since it is submerged in fuel it is unlikely (impossible) to have a fire ( liquid gas doesn't burn, only vapor does)

My wifes honda, all Vw's and even some korean cars have an access plate under the rear seat to access the fuel pump. All vehicles should have an access IMHO. I have replaced pumps on 3500 silveradoes with dump beds, They are really easy! Raise the bed, put in the saftey lock and go at it.

Old 12-19-07, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
I didn't smoke any cigars while working.

Actually not a lot. I unhooked the battery just incase. Was kinda nevous here and there that something may spark it off but I've done this type of work most of my life and I'm naturally careful.
And lucky your cell phone in your pocket didn't go off! At least I have seen signs on gas pumps to not operate cell phones while filling gas. But what if someone caled YOU. I have had mine right in my pocket while my pocket is leaning up against the opening while I fill the gas.

In my Haynes manual it advises to use brass tools if you have to beat on any retaining ring or anything.

Another poster brought up about an access panel in vehicle make changing out the fuel pump fast. I wonder why they all did not put such easy access in from the trunk?

Old 12-19-07, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
o1 blazer vs cell phone

Never been a documented case of cell phone causing a fire at a gas pump. Lots of, "my friend", and "i knew a guy", but nothing on record. Ask Mythbusters...lol j/k

best in 2008

Old 12-20-07, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
And lucky your cell phone in your pocket didn't go off!

I had taken and placed it about 15' away. Wouldn't you know every time I was in some precarious position it went off.

Old 12-20-07, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Actually Mythbusters "busted" the cell phone thing. I have to use mine all the time while pumping gas and I don't give it a second thought.

Old 12-20-07, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by carguyinva View Post
yeah...at the bottom of the fuel tank. i only live in the mountains of VA...and 10 below is as cold as i've seen here...still no gas line freezing in my paltry 27 years.
Well, you obviously did not have gasoline with water in it?!?!?! The alcohol that is often found in todays gasoline tends to eliminate the problem of water in gasoline freezing.

Old 12-20-07, 12:30 PM
Sort of odd that just minutes ago I ran into this guy pushing his SUV by hand in the lot. I asked him what his problem was to see if I could help. He said he is pretty sure he ran out of gas.

We then started talking about fuel pumps because I told him I have heard it is not good to let the fuel even get LOW, with the electric fuel pumps.

I told him how some people get lucky and have a vehicle where there is this removeable cover in the trunk/cargo area that saves them from having to drop the tank, and how one guy on a message board said because of that he was able to change out the pump in like 23 minutes. He said that he has done his and he had to drop the tank and it took him about 1 hour. I asked HIM if he was afraid of an explosion and he said the thought crossed his mind, but he just syphoned the gas out of the tank and had at it.

I am frankly quite surprised that as many people tackle this job as they apparently do. You'd think all it would take is one static spark even and it would go off like a bomb, especially with it is down to fumes in the tank.

I wonder if the web has info on how many people have had fires or explosions occur (if any)?

The cell phone thing is interesting. I guess the warning is a just-in-case thing to thwart a possible lawsuit. Although they'd probably lose out anyway for not making the sign big enough and bright enough.

Search this Thread