Fuel line freeze

Old 12-20-07, 05:06 AM
Fuel line freeze

Fuel line freeze in the upper Midwest is common knowledge here. It does not come from gasoline itself freezing. That is to say the petroleum won't freeze and plug a fuel line at any temperature that we would witness.

However, gasoline can contain moisture that it picks up through the air in the fuel tank of the vehicle or the storage tank at the station. That moisture rides with the gasoline and is burned in the engine.

The moisture level in the fuel can become elevated due to running a vehicles tank partially full. The air volume in the tank can carry in moisture and transfer it to the fuel.

The problem occurs when the temperature drops below a certain level and the moisture comes out of the fuel and freezes in the line. There a number of variables that impact its occurrence - moisture tolerances of the fuel, the environment they are subjected to prior to using and the design of the vehicle as to fuel line placement and under body temperatures. Because of these variations, the problem isn't always "just around the corner" for everyone. But it does exist.

There are additives for it and ethanol gasolines help prevent it. Either will drop the temperature threshold.

Because of the severity of the cold when it happens, most people in Iowa are aware of it and protect against it. That's why C' stores sell out of Heet and Isoheet when the temperatures drop below zero.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Just one of a long list of reasons to live in the South.

Old 12-20-07, 08:45 AM
We just got an inch of ice - look for me a house - I'll be down in two days.

Old 12-20-07, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
It's a buyers market right now. Disclaimer: I am not a real estate agent.

Old 12-20-07, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, but TG, you are tooooo far south. Your beach sand even looks like powdered sugar! Got relatives that live there.

Old 12-20-07, 03:09 PM
With this winter there ain't no too far south Where is the place they call equator?

Old 12-21-07, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
... Your beach sand even looks like powdered sugar!
That's a BAD thing???

It gets pretty cold down here, too. Monday and Tuesday I had to forego my shorts in favor of jeans!

Christmas day forecast is hi of 80, lo of 61, 10% chance of rain; but that's HERE and we're driving to my Mom's about 100 miles north, so won't be QUITE as warm - probably only make 78 or 79.

Old 12-21-07, 06:12 AM
Well, there's no point in moving down there, it's cold, too

Old 12-22-07, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just can't take that heat! We're high 40's and it will be 24 tomorrow night, so that's fine. Just have to remember to plug in the diesel. It doesn't like cold, either.