stalling problem with 92 & 93 Luminas

Old 09-29-08, 07:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question stalling problem with 92 & 93 Luminas

GI2 My sons both have luminas with stalling problems. Both the cars have 3.1 engines . both cars have been in the shop and nothing showed up on scans and the shop couldnt figure out what is causing stalling. I have changed the fuel filters in both. I changed the egr unit in one and the fuel pump pressure checked out fine and they still stall. I thought maybe a vacuum problem. Will that cause stalling and/or the engine to die? I sprayed carb cleaner around the engine while it was idling and it causes the engine to idle faster when I spray it around the rear of engine near the firewall. Has anyone else heard of this problem with Luminas? GI2

Old 09-29-08, 09:40 PM
if you are speeding the engine up by spraying around the rear of the engine, you do have some kind of vac leak. fix that first that may be your only problem. one way to localize it is to use a small diameter piece of brake line and a propane torch, do not light it. about a 2 ft piece of vac hose with the nozzle of the torch taken off and fit the vac hose over the brass pipe then place the metal brake line in the other end of the vac hose turn the propane on and start moving the brake line around the areas of the suspected leak, engine will speed up when you are in the correct place, this doesn't make as much mess as chemtool or oil and allows you to access very tight areas to test. just be carefull not to place any part of your tool or body in contact with moving engine parts.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-30-08, 06:42 PM
D
Thank you very much for the tip. I just wish the Chilton books I buy for my used cars had a better troubleshooting chapters. I will try your suggestion this weekend. I work too many hours to try it during the week. Thanks again Speedwrench.

Old 09-30-08, 07:54 PM
G
try to tap on the idle control valve and see if will run then.
try e-bay for manuals,they have a lot of factory workshop manuals
good luck

Old 10-07-08, 07:52 PM
D
vacuum leak

I figured out the vacuum leaks was the rear plenum gasket and I changed out both the gaskets. This didnt fix the stalling problem. I was told it could be an injector problem because the 91, 92, and 93 Luminas had injector problems. Has anyone else heard about this? Before I change the fuel pump I would like to see if the injectors are bad. Thanks

Old 10-08-08, 04:24 AM
W
stalling

Are the cars stalling after idleing for a while, or do they die when you let off the throttle? Stalling when you lift off the throttle can indicate the need to clean the throttle body and throttle blade. As previously stated the IAC motor could also be defective. I do not think changing the fuel pump will help your problem, usually a pump works or it doesent, and you say the pressure is fine.

Old 10-13-08, 04:35 PM
D
I checked the fuel injectors and they all tested out fine. They were 11.2 to 12.7. I am going to check the IAC and the MAF sensor also. I was told to take the maf apart and clean it and that could be it. I'm still working on it. Thanks for all the support.

Old 10-20-08, 07:35 PM
D
Beer 4U2 Hey gang, I had another shop do another diagnostic on my 92 lumina and it came back with a bad ECM. It said the ecm was telling my car that it was at 15,000 ft above sea level instead of about 9,000. I bought a used ECM and installed it and the stalling has stopped. Easiest part that I have replaced on the car. Thanks for the suggestions and info you gave me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: