Conversion Van electrical problems

Old 12-26-07, 12:33 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Conversion Van electrical problems

Does anyone know anything about conversion vans? I have a 1998 Chevy Astro Gladiator hi-top that has a "battery reset" button on the dash. Van was sitting for at least 30-45 days when I realized I needed to drive it to keep the battery from going dead. It was a little weak when I started it up - but I figured it would charge itself up on the 75 mile trip I was about to make. Sounded funny again when I re-started it several hours later, and again the following day. By nightfall of the second day of use, it wouldn't start - wouldn't jump. Don't know the age of the battery - only had van about 10 months. If battery is truly gone - would that explain why it wouldn't jump? We even tried bypassing battery and hooked my battery cables to other vehicle's battery - still no start. Did have lights though, and a faint click when attempted to start. Tried pushing the battery reset button, but nothing there either. It usually has an illuminated red light - which was not glowing anymore. Maybe it doesn't work when battery is dead?? Have had other electrical issues with this van and no one seems to want to work on them. If battery is not the problem - what do I check next?? Having battery tested today when I get off work.

Old 12-26-07, 03:46 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nawlinsgirl61
If battery is truly gone - would that explain why it wouldn't jump? We even tried bypassing battery and hooked my battery cables to other vehicle's battery - still no start. Did have lights though, and a faint click when attempted to start.
Car may not start if battery is really bad/shorted as it is like trying to fill a bucket with a big hole in the bottom, where water keeps running out as fast as you add it.

I have tried your jumping technique to no avail in the past, also, and figured that the extra resistance of having current from good car battery go thru length of jumper cables AND length of cable in bad car was too much resistance. Maybe someone else will weigh in on this, though.

Old 12-27-07, 09:54 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does this vehicle not have an auxiliary battery & a battery isolator ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: