replacing motor mounts

Old 12-27-07, 08:36 PM
replacing motor mounts

I have a general question about replacing motor mounts. I have a factory repair manual that says catalytic converter needs to be disconnected at the exhaust manifolds (V6 engine) before lifting the engine by 2". But I have been told that it's not necessary.

I would like to get a second opinion. In general, if an engine is lifted by 2", will catalytic converter follow without being stressed excessively? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-07, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Details like this are going to vary with the vehicle. On what vehicle and engine do you need new mounts? Incidentally, I had them replaced on an 86 Chevy 2.5L I4, no disconnect required.

Old 12-28-07, 03:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all depends on how it all fits together. Inspecting the area should give you an idea if it is feasable or not.

Old 12-28-07, 06:42 AM
Owners of the same model have done it without removing cat converter. From this I know it for fact that no part is going to come in the way. My question was about the general idea of lifting the engine by a couple of inches with the exhaust system still attached. Would you feel comfortable with lifting the engine by a couple of inches? The kind of answer I am looking for is professionals do that all the time without any adverse consequence.

Old 12-28-07, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Certainly ok some of the time, though it's possible some vehicles wouldn't tolerate this.

Old 12-28-07, 08:34 PM
Your answer would be "it depends on the specific vehicle"

Also remember, just because someone you know plays a round or two of Russian Roulette and survives, doesn't mean that it's a good idea and safe for everybody

It will depend on the specific model as to whether your these owners are well within tolerances or tempting fate

Old 12-28-07, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will play safe.