engine oil in spark plug well

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-28-07, 08:04 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 358
engine oil in spark plug well

I have a puddle of oil in one of the spark plug wells. Are spark plug threads in general tight enough to keep oil from leaking into the cylinder? Thanks. (I don't want to repair it if I don't have to.)
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-28-07, 08:13 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by puter View Post
I have a puddle of oil in one of the spark plug wells. Are spark plug threads in general tight enough to keep oil from leaking into the cylinder? Thanks. (I don't want to repair it if I don't have to.)
Think of it this way, the spark plug seals tight enough to keep thousands of pounds of combustion gasses within the combustion chamber. That should answer your question. Why not fix the leak?
 
  #3  
Old 12-28-07, 08:51 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 358
Thanks for the reply. Yes, now I see how tight the seal is.

I thought about repairing the leak and flipped the pages of my repair manual. I have to remove the valve cover (and everything above it), discard the well tube and tube seal, put new ones in, and build a dam around the tube on the cylinder head. It seems to be beyond my skill level. I have done mechanical repairs external to the engine. But engine interior I don't touch. I leave it to pros.
 
  #4  
Old 12-29-07, 11:33 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 579
What kind of vehicle is this?
 
  #5  
Old 12-29-07, 09:26 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 553
Mopar 2.4 liter? If so, fairly easy to do, but it's your nickel.
 
  #6  
Old 12-29-07, 10:37 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 358
Yes, it's Mopar 2.0L 4 cylinders. Since you said it's easy, I will study the repair manual one more time. Your post psyched me up
 
  #7  
Old 12-30-07, 04:17 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 31
I'm not a mopar expert but in general the spark plug threads will keep the oil from leaking into the cylinders. However it has been my experience that this oil will damage the spark plug wires and cause misfire symptoms if the oil remains in the plug wells.

In most cars the oil leaks past o-rings in the valve cover into the plug wells and can be repaired relatively easily by replacing the valve cover gaskets and plug o-rings.
 
  #8  
Old 12-31-07, 09:35 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Spark Plug Seal

Originally Posted by Brents View Post
I'm not a mopar expert but in general the spark plug threads will keep the oil from leaking into the cylinders. However it has been my experience that this oil will damage the spark plug wires and cause misfire symptoms if the oil remains in the plug wells.

In most cars the oil leaks past o-rings in the valve cover into the plug wells and can be repaired relatively easily by replacing the valve cover gaskets and plug o-rings.
The threads do not provide the seal. Depending on the design the seal is provided by a tapered seat on the plug to head interface or a metal gasket.
 
  #9  
Old 12-31-07, 03:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694 View Post
The threads do not provide the seal. Depending on the design the seal is provided by a tapered seat on the plug to head interface or a metal gasket.
Correct, however the source of the oil leak is not the spark plug threads. The source of the oil leaks is most likely from the orings in the valve cover causing oil to leak down into the spark plug wells.
 
  #10  
Old 01-01-08, 09:29 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by Brents View Post
Correct, however the source of the oil leak is not the spark plug threads. The source of the oil leaks is most likely from the orings in the valve cover causing oil to leak down into the spark plug wells.
Did I say the source of the oil leak was the spark plug threads? I was correcting you on the sealing of the spark plug. I did not say anything about the source of the leak as your answer would imply.
 
  #11  
Old 01-01-08, 12:52 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694 View Post
Did I say the source of the oil leak was the spark plug threads? I was correcting you on the sealing of the spark plug. I did not say anything about the source of the leak as your answer would imply.
Easy there Steve, I am not trying to pick an arguement with you. Forum conversation can easily be misinterpreted which seems to be the case with both of us with regards to this thread.

I should have been more specific with my response but I did acknowledge that you were correct.

Have a happy new year.
 
  #12  
Old 01-02-08, 10:21 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by Brents View Post
Easy there Steve, I am not trying to pick an arguement with you. Forum conversation can easily be misinterpreted which seems to be the case with both of us with regards to this thread.

I should have been more specific with my response but I did acknowledge that you were correct.

Have a happy new year.
You are correct!!!
Regards, Steve
 
  #13  
Old 01-02-08, 10:25 AM
carguyinva's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,147
Thumbs up

oil collecting like (in the plug wells) that is also a fire hazard...the repair isn't expensive even if you don't do it yourself...better to get it fixed.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes