Dad in Trouble - Car Repair

Old 12-28-07, 03:57 PM
Dad in Trouble - Car Repair

Dad in deep dodo…..working on daughter’s truck and school is about to resume (if the Ranger doesn’t run she will have to drive a Buick to school).

Vehicle is ‘94 V6 3L Ranger (only has 75k miles). Vehicle had a check engine light and was sluggish. So took it to Advanced Auto to see what the test unit would say I needed……my vehicle is too old for their tester & therefore they couldn’t read my fault codes & give me a diagnosis. I bought a distributor cap, rotor button, PCV valve and air filter. Took great care to map out the spark wires to the distributor cap….I thought.

I recorded a firing order of 1-6-4-2-5-3 CW with no 1 cylinder/spark plug connection to distributor (looking from fan to fire wall) as being about 10 o’clock. Library Chilton for 91-95 Rangers 2.9L and 3.0 L said 1-4-2-5-3-6 CW. ’92 Aerostar 3.0L internet link said the firing order is 1-3-5-6-4-2. Truck is not running so now…………I’m having doubts about my recorded firing order.

What is the correct firing order and where is the no 1 spark plug wire location on the distributor cap (does the number 1 position matter on the distributor cap)?

John Boy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 04:10 PM
Go to this link:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

For all practical purposes, it's better to have the #1 plug wire in the right position on the cap.

Old 12-28-07, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
142536 is correct for the 94 v6 3.0 liter ranger. Look on the distributor cap, there should be a #1 embossed on it. Believe that is where the #1 wire goes. Also, you need to remember where the 123 and 456 cylinders are. As you face the engine, the left bank will be 123 front to back and the right bank will be 456 front to back. Did you put the coil wire back on? I know it's a dumb question, but it happens. The engine should fire even with the wiring screwed up, albeit backfiring, etc. Are you getting any fire on any cylinder? Take it all apart again and do it from scratch after you buy the Haynes book to guide you.

Old 12-28-07, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't mind taking the Buick back to school but I can appreciate why your daughter wouldn't want to.

I don't know what the order is for a '94 is but I checked my Haynes manual and it goes from '83 to '93 and a '93 3.0L V6 order is 1-4-2-5-3-6
Might be the same for a '94.

NO.1 spark plug wire should go in the 2nd hole to the left of the cap screw closest to the firewall going in a counter clockwise circle.

I had an '86 Bronco II with a 2.9L V6 and got nearly 300,000 miles out of it before I sold it.

Let us know how you make out and good luck!

Old 12-28-07, 06:27 PM
Smile John Boy - Daughter Relieved - No Buick in the Future

Thanks crew........firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6 with no. 1 closest orietated to 12 o'clock (closest to firewall) was a big winner. Raining hard here during the test drive.....no hesitation/no lurch.......still had check engine light appear 10 minutes into test drive (I know it is some emission fault warning/code......don't want to randomly replace expensive sensors). The good news - Dad gets to take the Buick to work and daughter gets the little pick-up to ride to school.....order is restored in our little world. Thank-you all.

John Boy

Old 12-29-07, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
If you still have time, here's info on code reading. May need to dig around to find your application:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Search this Thread