"data cable" auto wiring?

Old 12-29-07, 04:28 PM
CMil's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: United States of America
Posts: 393
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"data cable" auto wiring?

Just curious... I was talking recently to someone who USED to be in the automotive service industry. He said that starting with 2008 models, auto manufacturers would be required by law to have "data cable" electrical system wiring, covering everything from engine sensors and controls to courtesy lights and cigarette lighters. I recently did some work on a pretty new Sea-Ray boat which had three wires jumping from gauge to gauge on the instrument panel (red, yellow and blue,I think), starting from a central "processor". A larger harness fed the processor (from the engine, I'm sure).
Is there any truth to what my friend told me? If so, how will (or does) it work? Where can I learn more about this system? Will such a system be within the capabilities of current diagnostic machines, or will only newer machines be compatible? I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance - Chris
Old 12-29-07, 06:06 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 552
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GM has been using serial data circuits for a very long time. This allows all the modules in a vehicle communicate with one another, plus allows the scan tool to communicate with each of those modules individually.
Old 12-29-07, 08:26 PM
billys68ss's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,441
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Each manufacturer calls this type of communication something different. Chrysler calls it BUS communications. On Board Diagnostics has been used since the late 70's in automobiles, although much more complex and complicated today. I havent heard of any change coming down in 2008, but your friend may be talking about CAN BUS communications. CAN stands for Controller Area Network. This type of communications has been in the works for some time now and from the whispers I have heard is supposed to be a standard in the very near future. Maybe sooner than later. If you are interested in learning this complex system, I suggest you check with the local tech college and see if they are offering any courses. I would think that it would most likely be an advanced electronics course. However, If you arent in the the automotive service industry then it will most likely not be anything you will ever need.
Hope this helps ya,

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: