Ford Ranger 1992 Hydraulic Clutch Problem?

Old 12-31-07, 04:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger 1992 Hydraulic Clutch Problem?

The hydraulic clutch on my old Ranger is not working. Replaced the master cylinder to the clutch, drained oil and put in new. The clutch justs goes to the floor - there is not any hydraulic in it to engage.

Suggestions on what is wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-07, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's most likely the slave cylinder - check for clutch fluid leaking out the bottom of the bell housing. If it's not leaking - there should be a bleed screw on the bell housing. I would try to bleed it first. If bleeding it doesn't help, the bad news is that one is inside the bell housing. You'll have to pull the tranny to fix it.

I'm sure they had a reason to put it in there instead of using an type that mounted on the outside of the bell housing, I just don't know what the reason was.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Last edited by marbobj; 12-31-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-01-08, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
I'm sure they had a reason to put it in there instead of using an type that mounted on the outside of the bell housing, I just don't know what the reason was.
C'mon, Bob; Ford needs a REASON for bad engineering???

Old 01-01-08, 07:30 AM
You're right, good engineering is so all of us can fix it.

Old 01-01-08, 07:45 AM
Ok, it is back to Macgyver ideas. I will try it - and taking out the transmission - I don't know about that one. Maybe just part out the truck at this point...

I will try it today and see - will keep you guys posted.

Old 01-02-08, 07:46 AM
ok, no leaking. Bleeding did not solve the problem.

So now I will check on the price of a slave master. Would it be worth it to have a service person put this in? Is this cost effective since they have the lift.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-08, 05:52 PM
The problem is up at the Master Cyl............It comes ou of the firewall and points DOWN at about a 45 deg angle.....The reservoir is remote and the hose is set to the lowest point of the cyl...........The tube TO the slave is 180 deg around facing bottom...........
Take the master cly OFF the firewall.......tilt it so that both inlet and outlet are the HIGHEST point of the cyl........Gravity bleed or vacula the slave.........then reinstall the master
I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's the easiest way to clear the air out of Ranger/Explorer hydraulics

Old 01-03-08, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the info. We tried to bleeding the slave, but it didn't help the clutch. Only thing left is the slave needs to be replaced. Any other suggestions on what it could be?

Old 01-03-08, 07:59 PM
Do as Wrench suggested. If you still have air in the upper system (master cylinder) you won't get the clutch to work.

Old 01-04-08, 06:38 AM
I am not quite sure how Wrench wants me to bleed the slave with gravity - by taking the master cylinder off the firewall -
The push rod will not do through the firewall, so I am not sure how to do it.

Please explain it to me a little better. Thank you.

Old 01-04-08, 09:40 AM
I believe Wrench is saying when you remove the cylinder from the firewall and tilt it so the outlet is the highest point of the cylinder the air in the system will naturally rise and exit. You would need to leave the master cap off, I believe. You shouldn't have to use the actuation rod to do anything.

If this isn't the case, we'll need Wrench to jump back in here and correct me.

With this master cylinder issue in mind, I would hold off taking the tranny out.

Old 09-07-13, 12:30 PM
bleed like brakes til the cows come home

Hey,

You can bleed that system like the brakes with no effect till the cows come home. You have to put a clear plastic tube on the bleeder of the slave cylinder with the bleeder open a quarter of a turn. The tube needs to be long enough to reach the float boal on fire wall drivers side. pump clutch adding fluid until it starts to fill tube then with a syphon add fluid to the tube till it almost reaches the top of the tube. Then with a bicycle pump or better still a compressor blow the fluid in the tube back up into the system watching the bubbles in the float boal until there are no more bubbles and just fluid welling up. make sure the clear plastic tube doesnt run out of fluid... there bled.

Old 09-07-13, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Welcome to the forums 2solstice!

Hopefully skarney's gotten it figured out - it's been 5-6 yrs