1999 Suburban Coolant leak

Old 01-01-08, 01:59 PM
1999 Suburban Coolant leak

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban, 165,000 miles, 5.7 ltr, 4WD, 1500 Series, I have replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and checked for leaks in the front of the engine, the leak occurs after the vehicle has warmed up, and pressure is present, the leak appears to be coming from the rear of the engine somewhere towards the top, it drips from around the front of the transmission "bell" and behind the oil pan, I'm guessing it's running down from a higher area, but I can't figure out where from, there are no "wet spots" on the front of the engine, nor any coolant laying in the fan shroud, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-08, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could be a blown head gasket. Get a compression test done to determine if this is so. You can borrow the test kit usually from Autozone.

Old 01-01-08, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe a freeze plug under the bell housing or intake manifold gasket, too.

Old 01-01-08, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Maybe a freeze plug under the bell housing or intake manifold gasket, too.

I was thinking the same thing when typing my original response, but was in too much of a hurry to finish.

Old 01-01-08, 03:36 PM
Use a mirror to check back there. More than likley, you have a failing intake manifold gasket. This is a common GM problem - there is an upgraded gasket available.
Corky

Old 01-01-08, 04:18 PM
I agree with Corky about the intake manifold gasket.

Old 01-01-08, 07:21 PM
Ok well thanks to you guys I have a place to start, I checked both the oil and the coolant, and neither have the other mixed in with it, so hopefully it's not the head gasket, course the intake manifold gasket doesn't sound so good either to tackle myself, looks like the new years starting kinda rough

Old 01-01-08, 07:27 PM
Try This

I have a 2000 suburban K2500 6.0 L, recently had a coolant leak on water pump, used one of those fix-a-leak bottles and it worked very good , no leaks whatsoever up to this point
( this was Not the aluminum powder stuff but the other kind )

Old 01-02-08, 11:31 AM
Well here's a question, I found the area where the leak is, it's leaking around a bolt on the rear of the engine, just a little to the right of center, is that an intake manifold, or head gasket, can't see it very well, used a mirror and can just barely get it back there enough to see it, it's not real low, I'm thinking intake manifold but I want to be sure before I go to tearing it down and buying parts.
Still no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil..........oh that's right......cause the coolants all over the garage floor

Old 01-02-08, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Trying to imagine what bolt that would be, but I'm coming up empty. Even went out and looked at my wrecker which also has a Chevy 5.7. You don't happen to have a heater hose fitting back there, do you, because that's where my hose connects. Just to the right of center would likely be intake gasket, but at that location you would not have a coolant passage unless it is far enough to the side to be at the head, which would be 5 or 6 inches from center.

Old 01-02-08, 06:28 PM
The heater core fitting is on the front part of the intake on this truck. The other, of course, is on the water pump. So, I would have to say the intake gaskets are trashed. If you are doing this repair yourself, you need to mark where the rotor points, as well as distributor position. You will need to take a screwdriver and turn the oil pump drive counter-clockwise upon distributer reinstallment, so the rotor is returned to the original position before it was removed. If you do not do this correctly, the check engine light will come on and a DTC P1345.

Old 01-26-08, 05:47 AM
This is kinda weird

Ok remember me replacing the water pump on this thing? still had a leak towards the rear of the engine?, had a bolt on the top rear of the engine that was wet? hmmm go figure, didn't do anything else to the thing, just kinda waited to see if it would last, well now I have no leaks anywhere, except for at the rear of the muffler, looks like a small hole bottom rear of the muffler and condensation is pouring out of there as well as out of the tailpipe, have to add coolant every couple days, maybe 2 cups or so every three days to bring it back up to the correct level in the overflow tank, now granted, I'm not complaining cause it's doing ok other than that, I'm just curious if there is a way for the coolant to get in the exhaust? that doesn't even make sence..........does it? and if it can't go out through the exhaust...........where the heck is it going, and where is all the condensation coming from out of the exhaust?

Old 01-26-08, 11:04 AM
Coolant can enter the exhaust ports if there is a faulty intake or head gasket. When it enters the exhaust, it burns from the heat. If enough is being burnt, the exhaust will pour white smoke and smell sweet like antifreeze. The dripping from the muffler is normal, that is why the hole is there, to prevent the moisture from rotting out your muffler.

Old 01-27-08, 03:04 PM
Radiator leak?

Had a vehicle that shot antifreeze out of the transmission dipstick tube. The radiator was also used to cool the transmission fluid...but the transmission core in the radiator cracked and shot coolant to the transmission until it overfilled. Check your transmission fluid just to be sure that it is not leaking antifreeze into your transmission. Most dipsticks are located at the firewall and may have squirted out on the rear of the engine. Most likely Mr. Dummas' comments are on the money.