91 Tracer will not start

Old 01-03-08, 11:47 AM
91 Tracer will not start

Showed low fuel pressure at fuel rail, replaced fuel pump and regulator and filter, pressure comes up after a full minute of continuous pump operation. Could I possibly have a stuck open injector?
Has good spark, and power to the injectors, checked with light.
Relays have a solid click when tested except for the Power Control Relay, it sounds weak. Would that possibly be the problem also?

Car died going down the street.

Thanks

Last edited by th5809; 01-03-08 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go into more detail as to what originally happened and why you relaced what you did. Also tell us if it ever ran good, without misfiring after you did that work. (You'd think if you were flooding out a cylinder you would have bad misfiring.) Also are you in a part of tthe country where you could have fuel line freeze that is only allowing gas to pass through some small hole?

Maybe you are going to have to disconnect fuel line up by engine, and then crank it, to see if indeed there is some blockage.

Also, are you getting full voltage to the fuel pump?

Old 01-06-08, 11:06 AM
Reply to ecman51 Tracer

car died going down the street as if you turn off the key. No misfiring or anything.

Car has not started yet after the parts being replaced.

car ran OK before dieing. Car had set for a few months, which is why I feel the injectors are gummed up and perhaps one stuck open. Hence the slow pressure build in rail. Battery has been charged fully. Did have to repair wire to pump inside the tank.

Just can't figure this one out.

Thanks

Old 01-06-08, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, you HAVE tested for spark so we know you have that. If you sprayed some starting fluid in the fresh air intake line and then cranked and you even got a few pops out of it, we'd know it be likely fuel cut off. Have you checked to make sure valvetrain rotating and belt did not snap? Does the sound of the cranking sound like it always has, or is it cranking really fast now (if so, indicates timing belt broke)?

I can't see how something with one injector (even several) could possible shut off the car like you describe. Sounds more like the gas cut off or the timing.

Old 01-06-08, 05:31 PM
91 Tracer????...............Died suddenly????..........First thing I'd be looking at would be a timing belt...........

Old 01-06-08, 09:15 PM
I agree that it does not sound like a fuel problem. Even when a fuel pump completely fails all at once there is usually enough residual pressure in the lines that it will cough and spit and sputter a minute before it actually dies....not just shut off all at once. I, too, would be looking at that timing belt before anything else. If it's not that then it sounds like some sort of electrical failure. DID YOU, in fact, ever check for spark? I never saw in your post where you said you did that....my apologies if I missed it.

Old 01-07-08, 06:30 AM
Tracer

Thanks for the input. I found the problem, it was the timing belt.

I do thank all of you for the help.

Search this Thread