Radiator Leak

Old 01-08-08, 08:42 AM
Radiator Leak

Hi,
my 1987 Chevy Silverado, 2wd, 5.0L, automatic has a radiator leak at the top of the radiator where the main hose (from the engine) connects into the radiator.

The hose itself is ok, the actual leak is at the base of the metal spout (that the hose slips over) where the spout goes into the radiator.

Neither the radiator or the spout appear to be broken - rather, it appears that the spout has become slightly separated from the actual radiator and will wiggle very slightly at its base (where it joins the radiator) when pressure is put on the spout.

Can I fix this myself? Perhaps using something like JB Weld or perhaps could I solder it (using the same solder that is used on plumbing fixtures), or some other method?

Or does it need to be repaired by a radiator shop?
Or will I have to replace the whole radiator?

Thank you,

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 10:41 AM
Radiator

It's a lot easier just to get a rebuilt one,they're fairly cheap with core exchange, very easy to replace if you have some DIY experience , I've replaced mine on a '92 suburban 5.7 L a couple years ago

Originally Posted by cscjjd View Post
Hi,
my 1987 Chevy Silverado, 2wd, 5.0L, automatic has a radiator leak at the top of the radiator where the main hose (from the engine) connects into the radiator.

The hose itself is ok, the actual leak is at the base of the metal spout (that the hose slips over) where the spout goes into the radiator.

Neither the radiator or the spout appear to be broken - rather, it appears that the spout has become slightly separated from the actual radiator and will wiggle very slightly at its base (where it joins the radiator) when pressure is put on the spout.

Can I fix this myself? Perhaps using something like JB Weld or perhaps could I solder it (using the same solder that is used on plumbing fixtures), or some other method?

Or does it need to be repaired by a radiator shop?
Or will I have to replace the whole radiator?

Thank you,

Jerry

Old 01-08-08, 01:50 PM
If it is a brass-to-brass conncection, you can clean things up with a wire brush and resolder things with acid core solder. Problem is, there are many plastic parts on radiators nowadays that you may be working close to plastic and risk melting something. Certainly a radiator shop could fix this, but do a cost comparison of their labor vs. a new replacement before you decide.

Old 01-08-08, 05:08 PM
A shop can fix it for you for a fairly decent price. There are a few shops around here that specialize in radiator repair. With yours, you can probably just drop the truck off and they can repair it while it's still in the truck, versus pulling it out and reinstalling it. Make a few calls and get some rough estimates, then price out a new radiator. See which would be the better route for you.

Old 01-16-08, 09:12 AM
Final Result…

as I already had a propane torch and had soldered a few plumbing fixtures in the past, I decided to try soldering the leak and… Success!

Thanks to those of you who gave me input on this – it saved me a bunch of money and took very little time as I didn’t have to remove the radiator. I did have to watch for some close- by plastic on the fan shroud and it took two tries soldering to stop the whole leak but I was successful in the end. Special thanks to “Formula” for the great soldering tips in the pm that you sent me!

Thanks for your great forum and for your time and help.