2002 V-6 Ford Exployer-Tune up?

Old 01-14-08, 10:13 AM
2002 V-6 Ford Exployer-Tune up?

Hello, new to this, so excuse my "newness". I would like to give my 2002 V-6 Ford Exployer a tune up, where do I start? It's just running a bit rough and using the gas up. I called around and the best price I could get for a minor TuneUp-$130, for a major TU-$300-$400. Is that a lot? What's the difference? Is this something I can do myself? Yes, I'm a girl but not afraid to get my hands dirty and have been under the hood of a car in the past.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 09:20 PM
Tune Up

Originally Posted by Cjoyce View Post
Hello, new to this, so excuse my "newness". I would like to give my 2002 V-6 Ford Exployer a tune up, where do I start? It's just running a bit rough and using the gas up. I called around and the best price I could get for a minor TuneUp-$130, for a major TU-$300-$400. Is that a lot? What's the difference? Is this something I can do myself? Yes, I'm a girl but not afraid to get my hands dirty and have been under the hood of a car in the past.
welcome to the forums, on these new engines a tune up means pretty much just changing the spark plugs ( which may or may not necessary for your explorer, depending on miles ), and filters such as air & fuel, engine oil and oil filter if needed as well as tranny filter if needed.
Now on the mpg issue, none of the above will improve efficiency a whole lot ( well maybe replacing a badly clogged air filter will ) so poor mileage could have other causes, in general Fords are not the most efficient cars on the road, I'd wait and not start throwing parts at it until you can have a better idea of whats going on, see if there's any troublecodes stored on computer, they'll scan it for free at your local autoparts store , post results back if any,

Old 01-15-08, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Going on six years old, so I would assume if probably has between 70-90,000 mi. If it hasn't been serviced recently it's probably due for plugs, plug wires, filters, and (if so equipped) cap & rotor.

Lou makes a good point, however, that all of these items, while improving running may not be the only thing going on. Second his advice to have it scanned just for good measure, especially since you can get it done for free (but be careful of immediately jumping on recommendations for parts-changing).

Minor tune-up is probably plugs and check fluid levels; major I would guess includes filters and plugs wires, stuff like that, but be aware that, as Lou states, there really isn't much to tuning up a vehicle nowadays since for instance there are no points and condenser to replace and most timing cannot be checked/adjusted.

Old 01-15-08, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the advise!

Wow, this is great! I used to depend on my dad for advise like this, I miss him. Yes it has appx 75K miles. I will go by an auto store this weekend and have them scan the computer. If nothing shows up I'll change out the plugs, wires and air filter. Maybe an oil changes since i'll have it up on the ramps.

Thanks guys, I;ll let you know how it turns out.