Remote starter + keyless entry

Old 01-22-08, 04:24 PM
Remote starter + keyless entry

Hello everybody,

I moved to the Chicago suburbs recently with our California-bought Honda Accord 2000 LX 4dr Sedan 5spd, and I am thinking that installing a remote engine starter (and a keyless entry while at it) is not such a bad idea. I see plenty of options for these systems online. What should I watch out for? I already realized that not every system is compatible with a manual transmission. Apart from that, what else? I see that a do-it-yourself kit can be purchased on ebay for $40-$50. Will any of those do, or some are better than others? How difficult are these to install provided that I have power locks and manual transmission?

Also, how do I know whether I have negative or positive lock (or something along those lines)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 04:29 PM
remote

every remote starter ive seen can not be installed on a manual transmission vehicle.

Old 01-22-08, 04:32 PM
I have very little experience so far, but what I see from the descriptions is that there are some that explicitely say that they cannot be installed on manual, and there are some that explicitely state that they can.

Old 01-23-08, 10:05 AM
Come on, guys, somebody must have had some experience in this! I know that this is not a high priority repair request but it is fun, isn't it?

Old 01-23-08, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can certainly put a remote starter on a manual transmission vehicle. They make models for these specifically as well, and they are safe.

I would leave it to a technician to install however. These kits require alot of wire splicing and diagram reading. A place like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc will also warranty the install for life of the vehicle.

It doesn't matter too much on brand, but I've always been fond of Viper.

Old 01-23-08, 05:37 PM
not a fan of this system

I am not a fan of this starting system here is why. I like to monitor my car when it is running. You never know a small problem can turn big if left unattended. While you are inside getting ready for your nice warm car it might be outside self destructing.
Happend to me one time but I caught it as I was there to shut off engine. A cat had gotten under the hood and when I started it he went thru the fan belts throwing all the belts off. Had I not been there my car would have been toast as the water pump belt was involved.
As it turned out besides all the fur clean up and about half hour putting belts back on my day went much better then the unlucky cat that I found out later had died from this trauma of jumping thru moving machines.

Old 01-23-08, 09:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Michael,

Theres a 1 in a million chance of that happening. You are more likely to have a tire fall of while driving then have a cat under your hood.

Old 11-16-09, 04:49 PM
Ok, that's been two years, and I still don't have this remote starter system installed. I keep putting it off. Now that another cold season is upon us, I am trying to have a go at it again.

It's been refreshing to read the old posts. The tragic cat story made me laugh again. Sorry about the cat but hey, that's some rotten luck, huh?

Anyway, any new advice on these systems? Surely two years of technological progress might have meant something.

Old 11-16-09, 06:00 PM
If I were you I would follow HotinOKC's advice. Unless you are very good with following automotive schematics this really isn't very diy friendly. Take it by one of the accessory shops in your city and see what they have to say.