alero cam sensor

Old 01-04-08, 03:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
alero cam sensor

Hello. I have a 99 olds alero (3.4l v6) with a p0341 code. Can someone please tell me where the cam position sensor is located. Any other info may help. Thanks.

Old 01-04-08, 06:05 PM
M
Its between the front engine cover and the lower intake manifold, directly under the power steering pump.

DTC P0341 can be caused by secondary components leaking high voltage into the ignition module. Check for the following conditions:

Incorrect harness routing near secondary ignition component.
Ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or Ignition Control Module (check ignition coils for cracks, carbon tracking, or other signs of damage).
Secondary ignition wire(s) arcing to wiring harness.
An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check for:

Faulty Ignition Coil. Inspect the ignition coils for cracks, carbon tracking, or other signs that indicate that the coil secondary circuit is arcing to the ICM or ICM wiring harness.
Poor connection. Inspect the PCM harness and connectors for improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Inspect the wiring harness for damage.

A scan tool and a DVOM is required as part of the diagnosis.

Old 01-04-08, 06:09 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
You can go to this link. It's for a different GM vehicle, but it has the 3.4. It should have the information you need. It has a couple of other engines, just scroll down to the 3.4. It has a diagram for you.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-05-08, 01:25 PM
S
Thanks for your input. I need to get some time to check all of this out. I'll reply when I figure it out.

Old 01-16-08, 09:17 AM
S
After checking out the coils and wiring for obvious signs of damage, I replaced the cam sensor. It was only about $24 and it took care of the problem. Now I am attempting to repair the power steering reservoir return fitting that I snapped off.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-17-08, 07:37 AM
K
Is the damage limited to the power steering hose fitting itself? This can be repaired by a good shop that repairs hydraulic lines. There's plenty of them if you check the yellow pages.

Old 01-17-08, 03:35 PM
M
No, the complete power steering reservoir needs to be replaced, which requires removal of the power steering pump pulley. I guess one could try to epoxy the broken plastic back together, doubt it would hold.

Old 01-18-08, 05:42 AM
K
Sounds like a good candidate for a salvage part.

Old 01-23-08, 10:16 AM
S
I tried epoxy, but it ended up at a bad angle and failed. So I picked up a complete assembly at a salvage yard (pulley and all). The car is running fine now. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: