2005 Mercury Grand Marquis

Old 02-02-08, 12:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercury Grand Marquis

I have a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis on which I want to change the fuel filter. I have located the filter but I have never changed a filter on a car with an electric fuel pump. I am aware that the fuel line will be under pressure. Can anyone describe to me the procedure I need to follow and if I will need any special tools? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 02-02-08, 01:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That's a very good question.

I am not an expert but I do know some basics.
First disconnect the battery cables so there can be no sparks or accidents.(fire)

Second you have to releive the pressure in the fuel system or when remove that filter it'll spray fuel into your face and eyes.

Under the hood you should see the fuel lines that go to the injection system. Somewhere along those lines will be a relief valve that has a stem inside. You may have to remove it's dust cap to reveal the stem. I'm not sure about the 2005 but on the earlier Fords the relief valve looked like a short metal bicycle valve stem. If you push down on the stem the fuel should squirt out but be carefull.
Go get the new filter first this will help you understand whats involved as far as the clips and installation is concerned.

Not a hard job to do but it's totaly different from older generation / non-fuel injected cars.

Then when your done just turn the ignition key on and off a coulpe of times to re-pressurize your fuel system and check for leaks.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: