103,000 miles
Good Clutch
Good Transmission

Pressure checked coolant system and chem tested coolant

no oil found in coolant and no leaks found
holds good oil and coolant
blows cold AC
blows hot heat

- as usual with CRX's the rear qtrs are rusted up (being fixed soon)

Below is a list of all repairs and maitenance being done and price by local shop

-----------------
Water pump
timing belt
valve cover gasket
thermostat
Driver side Axle Assembly and Boot (Replacing because boot is torn)
Oil Change
Flush entire coolant system
Tires (All 4 brand new)

1037.14 = Total for all work
-----

does this sound like a decent investment?
everyone else keeps telling me it is but more opinions never hurt - Ive already bought the car itself LOL

and further plans are -- Repair qtr panels, new rims, paint job and new sound system

and of course the usual seat covers, steering covers, etc..

I can put upto 5000.00 into the car but would like to keep below that as much as possible

so any suggestions or ideas?

Let me know
SangrelX

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-08, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
A bit more than what I would have paid for a car needing as much as what's on your list, but if it's in your budget it'll probably be a good car. Pretty low mileage for an '87; hope it's not rolled back.

Old 02-03-08, 11:12 PM
heh

you misunderstand me

- The only work the car actually needs is

4 new tires
and the exhaust pipe itself has a few holes from wear and tear in it - so replace/reapair that and tires and she is 100% ready to use

so for a car needing only new tires and a exhaust pipe - and I paid
1695.00 with 103,000 Verified miles (was that a good price?)

The list of things I am doing is for safety - the water pump, and timing belts are the most vital things for this car I know that - which is why i am replacing them - as of right now they seem to work perfectly fine but im not risking it because they havent been changed since the car was manufactured

The mileage has been verified by DMV Records and CarFax Reports

the car runs nice, tight transmission with no play, good clutch etc...

My Cousin owns a Dealership and even he said the Transmisssion, Clutch, and Car itself was something he couldnt even buy in auction for the price I got it

but like I said all in all
1695.00 got me a CRX with 103,000 Miles -- that only needs 4 new tires and a new exhaust pipe
Oh oh - the Valve Cover Gasket does seep oil which is why its being replaced too so really not that expensive

So was that a good buy or not?

Also what opinions do you guys have on the list of work I plan to have done

I mean should I skip any of it? with really no worry?
Coolant Flush maybe skip that ?
Oil change is a must im sure it wont hurt
replacing timing belt, water pump, (doing thermostat while im in it) and Valve cover gasket - are really the Only major things that should be replaced in my opinion for safety and reliability

anyone think otherwise?

All in all I Plan to Keep this Car for a VERY Long time
so what work should I do to ensure this Car lives forever or atleast as long as me?

Thanks
SangrelX

ADDED:

Also which of the items on this list do you guys think I should just do for myself?
I am not totally stupid under the hood I have done things such as Valve Cover Gaskets, Coolant Flushes, etc.. myself - perhaps I should do those 2 on my own to save money?

what else on CRX and on my list is Easy to do? please give me idea's and suggestions - the more I save on maitenance and such the more I have to use for Exterior and interior changes

Thanks Again
SangrelX

Last edited by SangrelX; 02-04-08 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-04-08, 08:16 AM
Car

Just have the shop do all the work its not worth all the aggravation you can never match the equipment and facilities they have, a month ago I decided to rotate tires on my truck myself and I did it but what a major PITA , I would've just paid like $ 20 bucks to have it done ...
Sorry back to your car , hey it's a Honda you know they run forever so go for it fix it good and drive it that's how you get your return on the investment

Old 02-04-08, 12:23 PM
Self Repairs

Well I have done Replacements on certain items myself before

Thermostats
WaterPumps
Oil Change
Coolant Flushing

are all things Ive done myself on vehicles
so out of those I am most likely doing the Thermostat, waterpump, and oil change myself

Coolant Flush I can flush the radiator itself out but the shop will have equipment to flush the entire cooling system
so i might be letting them do that still

one question I have is whats the recommended Temperature for the Thermostat in this vehicle 87 CRX?
I cant seem to find it online

anyways
Thanks for all of your opinions and such I appreciate it
SangrelX

Old 02-04-08, 03:10 PM
thermostat

Just buy the OEM part and that's that, either at dealership or equivalent at auto parts stores.

Old 02-04-08, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
You probably did okay.

I couldn't find the thermostat spec either after a quick browse. Any parts store should be able to look it up.

NOTE: If the timing belt has never been changed I would not drive it any further than the nearest mechanic. If it breaks the repair cost will be close to what you paid for the car.

Also, your water pump is probably timing-belt-driven, i.e. it's usually done same time as the timing belt since the belt has to be removed to change the pump.

Old 02-05-08, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
You probably did okay.

I couldn't find the thermostat spec either after a quick browse. Any parts store should be able to look it up.

NOTE: If the timing belt has never been changed I would not drive it any further than the nearest mechanic. If it breaks the repair cost will be close to what you paid for the car.

Also, your water pump is probably timing-belt-driven, i.e. it's usually done same time as the timing belt since the belt has to be removed to change the pump.

You are Correct the Waterpump is Driven by the timing belt - I have looked up repair manuals for this car and i can do valve cover gaskets myself as well as thermostat they are easy

I am also looking into QTR Panel Repairs from a Autobody shop I will be having them Cut the entire rust out and weld in new sheet metal - sand, paint, etc..

is it better to have them paint the entire car -- or just match the new qtrs to the current job?

Also with the CRX's the body parts are plastic on the front end whats the best way to seal and stop cracking plastics on the fronts?

I thought of using Epoxy Resin to seal the cracks and then have the crack itself painted over -

with epoxy this should Stop the crack from going further and also it holds the crack itself togather

so all in all

Any suggestions for
Fixing plastic peices on the front end of the car
and how to attack the Rusted Qtr panels?

Thanks
SangrelX

Old 02-05-08, 10:35 AM
In general the CRX is a reliable car and the engine could easily last 200k miles or more. You have had the important things tested that lead me to believe the engine is still reliable.

One thing I would check into is frame rust. If you live in the rust belt the frame may literally be rusted to the point it is unsafe. I have seen a lot of this in my time with older Honda's.

Another thing that would concern me is the ignition system. Coils and ignitors are high failure rate components on this car. Make sure the ignition system is in good condition and is OEM parts.

Finally pay close attention to the ball joints. With that age and mileage they could be really lose and about to break.

Other than that I think this is a good investment, one that should get you another 100k miles.

As far as what you can do yourself. The VC gasket and coolant is easier to do when doing the T-Belt and the price should be reduced a little if done at the same time due to overlapping labor.

Old 02-05-08, 11:37 AM
ok

so all in all it seems better to let the auto shop handle replacing those parts

I am going to request the old parts be boxed up thought i am keeping them for myself

because they are all in good shape so far - im just replacing them incase things happen

-- anyways on to the Plastic parts and Qtr panels
I was asking what the best method of fixing the plastic head/nose peice's on the car would be

and the best way to attack the qtr panels

thanks
SangrelX