Auto Radio: Connect Datsun Hitachi KMS - 3601 B

Old 02-03-08, 12:14 PM
Auto Radio: Connect Datsun Hitachi KMS - 3601 B

I would like to hook-up a radio (Model Datsun Hitachi KMS -3601 B), but I cannot find info about the color code of the many wires coming out of the set. There is also a mysterious socket at the rear of the set.

One group of wires has:

a black wire (ground?)
a red wire with white stripe (+ 12 volts?)
a green w. yellow stripe (lighting or power antenna??)
a blue wire

The speaker wires are as below. Which are left and right, plus and minus?

light green / blue stripe & lt.green w. white stripe

yellow with red stripe & yellow w. black stripe

white with black stripe & white w. no colored stripe

dark blue w. black stripe & dark blue with red stripe

Some helpful pointers would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-08, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Well, as to the speaker wires, + & - don't make a whole lot of difference and once you get it powered up you should be able to figure out what speaker is what by adjusting balance & fade.

Don't know if it's standard, but I think most power antenna leads I've seen are blue. Red and black wires could definitely be the + & -. The other lead, green w/yellow could be the second hot lead. Radios have two hot leads, one switched and one always hot (to maintain settings when you turn the key off).

I assume there's no diagram on the side of the radio? You might try removing the top or bottom panel on the radio body to see if there's a diagram on the underside.

Only probelm with guesswork is you can accidently fry the unit by an incorrect connection.

Found these guys while trying to find any info for you:

http://www.justradios.com/

Old 02-11-08, 10:04 PM
Thank you tow_guy re Datsun Hitachi radio.

Thank you tow_guy for taking the time to answer my question and even snoop around a bit for me. There is no diagram outside or inside. Not much luck on-line. But I think it would be safe to go with 12v + to the red/white stripe, black ground, and blue for message to antenna motor. I forgot to mention a solid green wire along with the non spkr. wires. I do enjoy getting to work some old thing that I have salvaged & saved for eons.... With kind regards, fixoldstuff.

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Well, as to the speaker wires, + & - don't make a whole lot of difference and once you get it powered up you should be able to figure out what speaker is what by adjusting balance & fade.

Don't know if it's standard, but I think most power antenna leads I've seen are blue. Red and black wires could definitely be the + & -. The other lead, green w/yellow could be the second hot lead. Radios have two hot leads, one switched and one always hot (to maintain settings when you turn the key off).

I assume there's no diagram on the side of the radio? You might try removing the top or bottom panel on the radio body to see if there's a diagram on the underside.

Only probelm with guesswork is you can accidently fry the unit by an incorrect connection.

Found these guys while trying to find any info for you:

http://www.justradios.com/