2003 Honda CRV wont start

Old 02-04-08, 04:10 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2003 Honda CRV wont start

My Battery is OK, but I have not electrical anyplace. Was working perfect and car was in the garage so when I went to start it this morning everything was dead.

thanks for your help

Harlan

Old 02-04-08, 04:49 PM
B
Harlan,
No insult intended but how do you know your battery is "ok"? Should be over 12.5 v at rest. Have you checked cables at battery and starter for corrosion? All fuses ok? Any anti-theft systems that might be acting up?

Old 02-04-08, 05:17 PM
H
I used a volt meter on the battery and it's about 14v. no corrision. Just checked again and everthing is dead as I tried to used the auto lock and that didn't work. I'm not sure where to begin with anti theft. Also did not check all of the fuses. Should there be one that would shut off everything?

Harlan

Old 02-05-08, 12:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Every single electrical componenet, even the headlights, are all dead?

Old 02-06-08, 06:05 AM
start by checking the fuses under the hood...the big ones...and yes, the main fuses can cause everything to be dead. 14 volts on the battery? open circuit voltage on a fully charged battery is 12.66 with no surface charge. also, just because the connection don't have green/blue corrosion on them doesn't mean that they are good. they ought to be removed and cleaned with a wire brush to eliminate them for sure. unless you are familiar with voltage drop testing, just clean em.

Old 02-06-08, 04:31 PM
H
Thanks for your help!

Old 02-07-08, 11:11 AM
Question

sounds like a fuseable link to me! look around the battery pos. cable for a large wire, maybe with an enlarged portion and see if it is blackened/soft? i'm and old car kind of guy; not REAL adept at the newer cars. i did have that problem on a nissan once though. just a thought!

Old 02-07-08, 11:18 AM
mike...

you don't find fusible links on many asian cars, if at all any more, they use large fuses...up to 80A on some applications. the main fuses protect the power distribution chain beginning near the battery

Old 02-08-08, 08:10 AM
B
Originally Posted by Harlan
My Battery is OK, but I have not electrical anyplace. Was working perfect and car was in the garage so when I went to start it this morning everything was dead.

thanks for your help

Harlan
If memory serves me correctly I believe some CRV models had problems with the ignition switch. Some were even covered under a recall. A faulty ignition switch could cause this. A blown main fuse could cause this. Or a problem with the positive or negative battery cable.

Old 02-13-08, 01:40 PM
Question

thanks carguy. i try not to work on foreign cars if i can help it. by the way, are ther any "all" american cars anymore?

Old 02-13-08, 04:20 PM
in a word...NO! and who can keep track of who's in bed with whom...

hydramatic 6l80 transmissions go in GM trucks, ford trucks, chrysler trucks...who'd a thunk it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: