95 Honda Civic Headgasket

Old 02-04-08, 05:24 PM
95 Honda Civic Headgasket

I commute 100 miles. When I shut the car off, I hear the radiator "gurgling" into the overflow. The engine is not overheating and the coolant appears to be contaminated by the combustion process. The oil is fine. Leaking headgasket, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Try replacing the radiator cap and see if that doesn't fix it, but that's what the overflow tank is for in the first place - to have a place for the expanding coolant to go when it gets hot.

Old 02-05-08, 07:54 AM
Yes, I would agree except that the coolant appears to be contaminated. It is slowly turning a tan color.

Old 02-05-08, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by bust7015 View Post
I commute 100 miles. When I shut the car off, I hear the radiator "gurgling" into the overflow. The engine is not overheating and the coolant appears to be contaminated by the combustion process. The oil is fine. Leaking headgasket, right?

Of all the Honda engines, the Civic engine is more likely to have head gasket leaking problems. It does not take well to even slightly being overheated. That is not to say that yours is leaking though as the symptoms you describe are not enough info to conclude that.

There is a simple test you can do that will help verify if you have a head gasket leak. With the engine completely cold remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator with antifreeze until it is level with the top of the fill neck. Fill it until one more drop will overflow it. Disable the ignition by removing the coil wire. Have someone crank the engine while you watch the coolant in the fill neck. If even a small amount of combustion/compression gas is leaking past the head gasket, the coolant will belch out of the radiator each time the cylinder that is leaking reaches full compression when the engine is cranked over.

Another thing to look for is oil in the coolant reservoir. It will usually collect on the pick up tube in the reservoir and often times the underside of the radiator cap will have a tan colored sludge buildup on it.

A good repair shop will have a chemical tester that can detect combustion gas in the coolant and should not be too expensive to have that test done.