How do I use a slim jim

Old 02-06-08, 08:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I use a slim jim

I have been trying to find out how to use a slim Jim. I work for a security company and I get called all the time to go open car doors. I already have all the equipment to open the doors but the instructions. So I was wondering if any body would know where I can get some.

Old 02-06-08, 10:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most cars are different, and a slim jim will not work on most modern vehicles.

I highly doubt you could learn how to open a car door through a forum, so look into getting a training video of some sort.

Most security companies do not do this service anymore because of liability concerns. Only licensed and insured locksmiths do this service.

Old 02-06-08, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Agree with Mark but if you're bent on doing it, check out the assortment of door opening devices and kits at websites that sell towing supplies such as AWDirect (www.awdirect.com). Just search "lockout". They even carry liability release forms. I assume before you do a lockout you require proof of ownership? Just one more way it can bite you in the butt.

As Mark points out, opening doors is pretty specialized stuff. Although I carry the tools I generally don't do lock-outs except for people I know or do regular business with or have vehicles I have done before or that are easy to unlock. Not hard to do damage in the process.

Old 02-06-08, 02:09 PM
D
I know that most cars are different, and a slim Jim will not work on most modern vehicles like the Toyota Tacoma were the only way you will get in is if you brake a window. Even though Most security companies do not do this service anymore the one place I work for will not allow any locksmiths on there property for highly sensitive items and i do also agree with you mark. So they asked some of us get some of kind manual or training. I know that you can’t just learn by reading something you need to get some practice. So I just want to know the basic knowledge on how to do it.

Old 02-06-08, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I never pop a car door unless the person who wants it done can produce a tag receipt or title in their name. No way. But it takes alot of trying and sometimes luck. And as posted, the newer cars.....forget it. Rather than going down and trying to pop the lock mechanism, I usually go through and touch the unlock button on the door console.

Old 02-06-08, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
AAA Lockout Manual - $29.99:

http://www.awdirect.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=23823

For practice trot down to your local auto recycler (aka junkyard) with your tools and see if they'll let you play with some doors; often the interior door panel will be removed and you can see what the linkages look like you'll be dealing with.

As Larry points out, often the easiest unlock is by simply getting to the power door lock button.

Old 02-06-08, 03:49 PM
M
locksmith told me

My ex neighbor is a bonded locksmith and I used to go on calls with him in his astro van. He did houses etc as well as going to car auctions and making keys for lucky bidders. He gave me some good advice a good locksmith will always open the passanger side door. Reason is because in case something does not go right the customer will not be forced to climb over the center console to get to drivers seat.

Old 02-06-08, 03:58 PM
Hmmm... interesting tidbit Michael. Can you go into more detail about things "not going right"? I mean if a side airbag gets blown or you have glass breakage that doesn't have anything to do with climbing over the center console. (But still good reasons I would think.)

Or maybe he meant in case you hopelessly screw up the locking mechanism on the passenger door you have a second door to attempt?

Old 02-06-08, 04:02 PM
M
my 2 cents

Or maybe he meant in case you hopelessly screw up the locking mechanism on the passenger door :
Yes there are lots of clips and rods in there and if one was to come off you would want it on a secondary door. I guess same goes for other things in doors like power window wires etc.

Old 02-07-08, 10:00 AM
this brings back memories...i was putting some fuel in an Eldo (at the dealership) and accidently locked the doors with the keys in it and the engine running. No prob...grab the lockout kit and went to work...before i was done i had disconnected both outside door handles and the power lock actuator on one side...yeah, took an hour or so to fix my f***up not to mention the time i had in getting it unlocked. moral of the story...lots of potential liability associated with providing this service. we don't do it anymore where i work now...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: