92 Grand Am Key stuck

Old 02-11-08, 02:07 PM
92 Grand Am Key stuck

I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am, and the key is stuck in the ignition. On top of this, the key will not lock in the on position, nor will it return to the full off position. To keep the car running, I have to hold the key at the correct angle.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you do or have anything different happen just prior to this that made you try to say force the key? Say, that maybe the shift lever was not all the way over to park, first, all the way, or something? Something got bugered up in there -pins, bent key, ? - and if I were you I'd probably try to spray dry graphite lube and trying a lot of jiggling and gentle bending of the key (as perhaps YOU got it bent perhaps toward the start-on direction).

Old 02-12-08, 01:24 PM
Grand Am Key Stuck

I used a lubricant to get the key unstuck. However, I am having a problem where the key will not stay in the On position, enabling me to drive. I think that something in the ignition is bent disallowing this. I tried a different key that is not bent at all, and the key will not move. Any way to bend back the part in the ignition?

Old 02-12-08, 05:44 PM
HAVE you tried forcing the shift lever toward "Park", farther?

I'm not sure how the construction of this tie-in between the ignition being able to turn and the shift lever is, but I would not doubt that is the root cause of your problem.

With some of these newer cars today, there are so many safety items that I also wonder if your car could be equipped with something that will intentionally make it so you can't start your car (by not even letting you turn the key) if something else in the system is not right. But don't ask me what this could be, if anything.

If you do not get the (specific)help you need here, ask for the service manager at your dealership and he MAY be so kind to tell you what to look for. I have talked to many helpful service managers in my time. Also, some parts stores have knowledgeable people. Sometimes junkyard guys, also.

Old 02-12-08, 06:12 PM
Grand Am Key Stuck

With the key that was stuck, I can get the car to start. However, if I remove my hand from the key, the car turns off. That's why I thought something was bent in the ignition, or some mechanism not working.

Old 02-12-08, 07:04 PM
That doesn't sound very good.

I wonder if your car has the ignition switch right at the key?, or if it is controlled by a rod where the switch itself is more accessable down the column? Anyone?

Old 03-06-08, 09:30 AM
your ignition needs to be changed,mine got stuck in the ON position and couldnt shut it off. if its just a plain key W/out the dieoed in it you can get one for 20 bucks at the parts store