blower don't work

Old 02-21-08, 06:34 PM
blower don't work

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera L4 2.5L engine OHV iron duke.

the blower won't work.doesn't work in ANY speed high low or in between or cold or heat a/c vent nothing.it quit like this before but fixed it itself last week but now it quit again. does it sound like a short or a motor problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 06:53 PM
sounds like a bad ground to me. turn it on high and then take a wire (a test light with a clip and sharp point work well) and create a ground to the case of the motor, if you can see it. if it works then, either find the ground and clean it or if possible add another ground wire to a mounting screw/bolt. whichever is easier.

Old 02-21-08, 09:52 PM
well it started working again. so it must either be a bad ground or a short.next time it quits and if its during the day i will try to make a new ground and see if it works

Old 02-22-08, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to help with terminology, it won't be a "short", but an "open" you are experiencing. Good luck with the blower, especially in this cold wx.

Old 02-22-08, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just to help with terminology, it won't be a "short", but an "open" you are experiencing. Good luck with the blower, especially in this cold wx.
open a open ground.

Old 02-22-08, 12:20 PM
Your intermittent blower motor may simply be worn out brushes within the motor. Have had several GM vehicles with high mileage and the blower starts becoming intermittent. Sometimes a hard slam of the door will jolt the blower into starting up, but this is only temporary. Solution is replace the blower motor.

Old 02-22-08, 04:28 PM
Cool

no! an open occurs on the supply side failing to deliver current. a short world be between the supply and a ground causing it to blow a fuse or catch fire. it probably would be better to replace the motor if you can. (WORDS MEAN THINGS)!

Old 08-22-08, 12:04 AM
ok well its been working almost all summer without issue till recently. it started it intermittent operation but sense Wednesday's its not working at all. i think i found the blower.
how easy is it to replace you got the 2 wire plugs that plug in but then you got that rubber boot thing.

how easy is it to replace you got the 2 wire plugs that plug in but then you got that rubber boot thing.judging by the way it looks its going to put up a fight. but how do i test to see if the motor or the ground is bad

Old 08-22-08, 06:43 AM
I'd get out the hose, a scrub brush, and some windex or something and clean off the area so you can see what is beneath all that dirt. That rubber tube is the blower motor cooling tube and will likely pop out with some gentle persuasion. Just disconnect the wires at the motor, remove the screws and it is out. A new motor will likely not have the fan included so you'll have to take off the old one (great time to clean it) and install on the new motor. Should be a piece of cake. Spread some caulking compound (RTV or something similar)to the perimeter of the motor housing opening in the firewall before reinstalling the new motor so you get no leaks into passenger compartment.

Old 08-22-08, 06:56 AM
leave the clean part

You will leave the clean part just remove the moter a couple of wires and the cooling tube.

Old 08-22-08, 02:36 PM
well I cleaned it and made 2 attempts at a ground. nether made the blower work. blade fuse looks ok. i can get 2 motors. one without the fan for $20 and the other with the fan on the motor for $50

Old 08-22-08, 02:53 PM
Get the original out and see if you can easily remove the fan. That way you can buy the cheaper of the two available.

Old 08-23-08, 01:33 AM
ok will try that but just to conferm. i did the ground test correctly so it proves the motor is gone.

Old 08-23-08, 06:46 AM
Not so fast

Have you checked for power from the wire going into the moter? A multimeter or a test lamp would be of great help.

Old 09-12-08, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by michael van View Post
Have you checked for power from the wire going into the moter? A multimeter or a test lamp would be of great help.
no which wire do i test theres 2 of them. i checked the fuses there the blade type. look fine.

Old 09-12-08, 07:12 AM
I just replaced a motor on a 1998 Olds 88, and that was not a piece of cake to replace!

Be careful when pulling the venting tube off. Mine had a motor cover made of plastic and when I pulled on the tube the nipple on the cover that the tube connects to pulled right off from brittleness. The plastic cover is a dealer part and costs more from the dealer than the motor/fan combination on the aftermarket! I ended up gluing mine back on and patching for the missing particles (it's on there just fine). The whole job was really hard to get at in my vehicle - had to remove extra parts in the way, etc.

As far as replacement, I'd put in a complete new motor with fan unless your fan looks really good, but judging by the age and condition of the parts in the photo, I'd do the whole thing. Like I said, mine was not a piece of cake and I wouldn't want to have to go back in there in a few months to do the fan.

QC

Old 09-20-08, 06:53 PM
well guess what it started working again is it still the motor or something shorting out inside the car. i guess next time it quites to get a tester and test for voltage at the wires. if voltage then the motor windings are shorting out.

Old 01-03-09, 11:11 PM
ok its either a short a loose wire or both. It doesn't quit once its running. it waits till i shut off the car and then it does not work again. so each time i start the car its like is the blower going to work. sometimes it will kick in while driving or when i start the car next time. this time it didn't work when i started the car and after 2 start ups it was working(i was shopping) and it lasted till after i got done with my last job then it didn't work when i started the car. it restarted later down the road right after i hit a bump in the road. to recap. if its working it seams to stay working untill after i turn the car off. sometimes it will work the next time or for a week or so then the next time i start the car it does not. sometimes it will kick in while driving other times the next time the car is started.

Old 01-04-09, 08:24 AM
I'd say it is the motor gone; I had same problem with a Mopar car; motor would work sometimes and then stop.

Old 03-03-09, 02:49 AM
its the blower motor. it didn't work when i started the car yesterday so i left the blower on high and popped the hood and gave the motor a light tap with the hammer only once and the blower started working. so i'll replace it sometime in the summer. i don't have A/C as it needs new pipes sense ones broken off the compressor.

Old 03-05-09, 01:40 PM
Intermittent Blower motor

I was gonna suggest a bad ground, but now I read the whole thing seems like it might be something else, sorry.

Last edited by mainer4; 03-05-09 at 01:44 PM. Reason: should have read the whole thread first!
Old 06-18-09, 06:12 PM
ok so im finally going to order a new blower. here's the problem. they all have 1 spade connector. the old blower has 2. what do i do splice the 2 connectors together. also depending on website one spins clockwise the other counter clockwise. does it matter which direction it spins. im getting the one that has the blower wheel already attached. they both say it will fit this car.

Old 06-18-09, 07:04 PM
Not sure about yours but in my Mopar, there were only two wires: a green and a black. It ran the wrong way; just reverse the connections (green to hot wire, black to ground or reverse it to spin it the other way). Might have to cut the spade off and just connect the wires by direct splicing. Someone else may have more specific advice to your model.

Old 06-19-09, 01:29 PM
well does anyone have any suggestions. i need a 2 spade blower motor and all the ones that are sold for this are 1 and thats not correct. what do i do splice the wires together. do i have to get one from a junk yard. i emailed a couple auto part places and they don't have any 2 spade motors that will work.

Old 06-19-09, 02:44 PM
One of the spade connectors on your old fan motor should be screwed on, or attached under one of the motor mounting screws, simply remove it and replace it on the new motor. Do NOT put the 2 of them together, one is hot the other is ground and it WILL blow the fuse if you put them together.

Old 06-19-09, 03:05 PM
heres what it looks like

Old 06-19-09, 03:10 PM
ok took both wires off it looks like the black wire is attached to a terminal that is attached to the screw.

Old 06-19-09, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Just put a spade lug on the black wire..thats your ground. You may find its held on by the mounting screw. No pic of the motor w/o the wire plugged in, so can't tell.

As to the CW and CCW rotation..dunno, Autozone only lists 2 motors with no mention of rotation.

Old 06-20-09, 02:05 PM
ok replaced the blower motor now the air comes out of the defrost vents no matter what i put it on. whats wrong now. i only removed the whole airfiler assembly to better install the new blower. air comes out of the defrost vents only. i can put the selector on vent bi-level nothing. all speeds work and so does OFF but i can't get it out of defrost. any ideas. it was in vent mode when i replaced the blower now the slector is still on vent but its blowing out of the window defrost vents.

Old 06-20-09, 03:42 PM
sounds like you broke or removed the vacuum line going inside the car for the AC control. It would pass thru the firewall in the same area that the blowes motor is mounted. If it is broken the air will only come out of defrost vents.

Old 06-20-09, 06:12 PM
well found out its cause i didn't have the engine running. just had the key set to on so i could test the blower.

Old 06-21-09, 11:11 AM
Flirty,
This has got to be one of the longest running thread: from Feb of 2008 to June of 2009. All is now well?

Old 06-21-09, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Flirty,
This has got to be one of the longest running thread: from Feb of 2008 to June of 2009. All is now well?
so far. saw rust on the windings of the old motor.