2001 Chevrolet Malibu

Old 02-23-08, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

Hi
I own a Malibu LS V6 3.1L. The red brake is always on. I replaced the front calipers,hoses,rotors and pads. I bled in the proper sequence. The rear brakes are fine and have been adjusted. There is no leaks, the fluid level does not go down. The CHECK valve is operating. All fuses are OK. Also the ABS light is on. I know that is the speed sensor on either side. If both sensors are shot would that make the red brake light come on and stay on???

Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 07:42 PM
The red brake light could be caused by an out of a adjustment parking brake or parking brake switch. Try grabbing the parking brake cable. On my cars the ABS and brake lights being on are not related. Most cars have abs wheel sensors on every wheel. If they get a little dirt on them it can set off the light.

Old 02-23-08, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mrbizness1 View Post
The red brake light could be caused by an out of a adjustment parking brake or parking brake switch. Try grabbing the parking brake cable. On my cars the ABS and brake lights being on are not related. Most cars have abs wheel sensors on every wheel. If they get a little dirt on them it can set off the light.
The parking brake and cable are snug.

Paul

Old 02-24-08, 02:23 PM
I also have a 2001 Malibu with the same issue.
I did everything you did and even cleaned all of the sensors with no results.
I finally did get the light to go out but I was only a testing it and don't recommend this as a fix, eh---hem.
I said "it was only a test" eh---hem.
I pulled the master cylinder level sensor out of it's socket and placed it just below the master clyinder.
The sensor is an external sensor so it won't leak when you pull it. It snaps in from opposite side so you need a small screw driver to compress the clip then it will slide out towards the fender.
DO NOT UNPLUG THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR TO THE SENSOR or your car will activate the anti-theft system and disable the ignition, I speak from experience.
It seems to opperate by a magnetic actuator inside the master cylinder and I think either the sensor or the actuator goes bad even though the brake system is fine.
But don't forget to check your fluid level frequently since the sensor is bad.
To properly fix this you may need to replace the master cylinder and the sensor.

Old 02-24-08, 02:31 PM
When the ABS system detects a fault, the red BRAKE light comes on. Thats how the system works on these cars, and most other GM vehicles. So, if your ABS light is on, your red BRAKE light will also come on. Go have the EBCM checked for DTC's, rather than throw un-needed parts at the vehicle and waste your money.

Old 02-24-08, 03:29 PM
Hi

Yes the fluid level is on the Max mark, and the E-brake is fully released. Last night I unbolted the Master Cylinder from the booster. The Master's piston is not stuck and the booster looks fine. I do have an appointment tommorrow am at the shop to get the EBCM scanned.

Paul

Old 03-04-08, 03:18 PM
ABS Sensor... part of wheel/hub assembly?

I have the same problem with my 2001 Chevy Malibu (3.1L, sedan)... the ABS light has been on for a while and after taking it into the shop to have the codes read, they confirmed that it was the sensor that had gone but they were unsure whether the sensor was a part of the wheel/hub assembly or whether it was a separate piece. From what you guys have been talking about here, it seems that maybe I am in luck and I can just replace the sensors... but can someone confirm for me that the sensors are separate (and therefore individually replaceable - i.e. I won't have to replace the whole assembly?). Thanks.

Old 03-04-08, 04:49 PM
The sensors are part of the wheel bearing, aka hub assembly.

Old 03-04-08, 07:43 PM
I got a scan done at the shop and it's the ABS sensor on the driver's side that's bad. No other codes. By replacing the hub assembly should make the ABS and BRAKE(!) lights got out. I will keep you posted.

Paul

Old 07-07-08, 12:28 PM
Red Lights and ABS sensors

Hi I had problems with my 1999 GMC Sierra with the ABS system. I didn't have any lights or computer messeges but I had brake petal vibration and noise. I had to replace three calipers and three wheel sensors in order to correct the problem. I'm glad I didn't wait as the rotors are still OK.
Dave

Old 07-07-08, 08:35 PM
On your truck, there was a recall to repair this issue. It involved removing the front wheel speed sensors (these sensors are seperate from the hub) and sanding the rust from where the sensor bolts to. Next, a rust preventing sealer was applied to that surface, followed by some grease around the area and on the sensor. Finally, the sensor was reinstalled and vehicle was road tested to verify repair.