1989 corvette fuel issues i think

Old 02-24-08, 06:44 PM
1989 corvette fuel issues i think

The car started running bad, hesitation and less power, brought it to a shop and they replaced all 3 catalytic converters, ran good. Then we replaced the plugs/wires/coil/oil and filter. Then it run like **** and burned up coils. We found out that we did not connect the ground strap back only the ground wire on the coil. Once we connected the ground wire and strap it no longer burned up coils but then would die when driving at idol and running rough. Then we used injector cleaner in the gas, ran worse at first but by the end of the tank it ran a lot better. After bout a week it was back to dieing and running rough.

Back to the shop and this time they drained the fuel tank saying there was water in the gas and changed the fuel regulator. This time it run fine for bout a week then progressively got worse again.

Now it runs rough and dies at idol and lots of hesitation all through the throttle. Anybody have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-08, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Has anyone put a fuel pressure gauge on to see what kind of pressure you are getting. The spec is 41-47 psi. Also, fuel filter been changed?

Old 02-27-08, 08:16 AM
The fuel filter has been changed twice, sorry forgot about that.
The pressure has not been checked that I know of, maybe the shop did the second time they had it but did not tell us what that was. Do we need any special tool to check it on this corvette?

Old 02-27-08, 11:06 AM
I am thinking maybe a bad fuel pump.

Old 02-27-08, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jcrat View Post
...would die when driving at idol and running rough. Then we used injector cleaner in the gas, ran worse at first but by the end of the tank it ran a lot better. After bout a week it was back to dieing and running rough.

Back to the shop and this time they drained the fuel tank saying there was water in the gas and changed the fuel regulator. This time it run fine for bout a week then progressively got worse again.

Now it runs rough and dies at idol and lots of hesitation all through the throttle. Anybody have any ideas?
Sounds like if there really was a significant amount of water in there to cause this, that your problems are related and still related to this, from everything you said in the quote here. Everything you either added or replaced probably displaced the water/sludge. But there must be something still sludged up.

I'd ask them if they really think by the amount of water they got out if they think your problems are related to that. And have them theorize where it may have come from. Condensation due to where you live? Any history of that car having that problem? Enemies?

The fact that you always say it got to running much better after you did those things:

If the additive worked the first time, have you tried it again to rule this out as being some coincidence?

Did they take a look at the fuel pump sock? If fuel pressure is not up to snuff all the time, maybe the actual pump is good but the sock is sludged shut.

Old 02-27-08, 12:36 PM
Thumbs up

the first thought is faulty injectors(or dirty). how bad was it running BEFORE you started working on it? did it have the same problems as now? at this point, I think I would spend the money to put it on a diagnostic machine before you spend any more money. also sounds like an electrical inspection of all the wires you have moved/removed while working on it is in order. let us know what you find!

Old 02-29-08, 01:58 AM
I live in California! No enemies, hahha. We will try the additive again and let you know.
No one looked at the fuel pump sock? Would that be a filter on the fuel pump itself?

Before we started to do anything it just ran like a very tired V8 with no power. So the work started.....

It does appear that the injectors and fuel pump are the only things remaining that has not been replaced or fooled with.

Old 02-29-08, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Yes the fuel pump sock is a filter. It's on the pump inlet and is designed to stop the worst of the crap in the tank from going into the pump. Smaller stuff, that can go through the pump without damaging it, is caught in the regular filter.