98 ford exp

Old 02-24-08, 11:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
98 ford exp

i have a 98 ford exp and it will not start. i was leaving the gas station and it just died on me. i tried to start it later that night i started for a few sec with my foot on the gas all the way and it sounded like crap then died. i tried to start it one more time and no go. but if i let it sit for a few hours it will start up sound like crap and die. I thought it might be bad gas but i drained it and put new gas. New fuel filter new spark plugs and it did not help. Can any one help me thanks

Old 02-24-08, 01:09 PM
M
When you cycle the key to "on" position,(not start) do you hear a buzz or humming noise from the rear area of the vehicle? (Fuel pump ) A quick swat to bottom of fuel tank, with a rubber mallet/hammer may tell you. If it starts after the hit, fuel pump is on it's way out/gone.

Old 02-24-08, 02:23 PM
T
ya the fuel pump is good

Old 02-24-08, 03:25 PM
T
would a code reader help me narrow things down

Old 02-25-08, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Couldn't hurt, but there are a lot of things that will not necessarily show up in a code, like low fuel pressure output from the pump, or failing electronic ignition components.

Old 02-25-08, 03:22 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basics: Check for spark.

Check to see if starting fluid gets it to start better than how it starts when it is NOT starting right.

Check engine timing. Often the engine runs good right on up 'til engine is shut off. Then upon the next "start", it jumps teeth or even strips out about 5 teeth out of the serpentine belt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: