Very black break fluid

Old 02-26-08, 04:40 PM
Very black break fluid

2003 Nissan Altima
112,000+ miles
4 cyl

Got a check up on my car and the very cool guy suggested to have the break fluid flushed and filled back up b/c it's very black.

Can I do this myself? How? Isn't break fluid "black"? How can you tell it's "very" black or if it needs to be flushed and filled? Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-08, 05:17 PM
Black

Brake fluid is not black it is almost clear. Yes you can do it yourself get a bleeder kit from the car parts place and get the CORRECT fluid for your nissan. Use only what it says on the cap.

Old 02-26-08, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn certainly be interested in seeing what "black" brake fluid looks like. That would be gross contamination and I would want to know how it got so bad.

Old 02-26-08, 05:32 PM
Black fluid could be caused from inner hose deterioration, Have seen this a few times.

Old 02-26-08, 05:39 PM
nap
any rubber deterioration such as the rubber on the M/C cap, the rubber seals within the master cyl or the rubber hoses and parts at the wheels are all rubber (of some sort) and could deteriorate.

also, aluminum also causes black fluid as it wears (the aluminum)

if anybody has experienced GM morning sickness with a power steering unit, you would have noticed the fluid got black when this was happening. That was the aluminum causing that.

as another told you, brake fluid is clear. You should flush the entire system, very well.

Old 02-26-08, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Right, I'm thinking "dark"; I've certainly seen some pretty crappy fluid before, but none that I think I would describe as "black".

Old 02-27-08, 08:41 AM
ooooooooh! I thought break fluid was black. Don't get this wrong, but I thought the guys at the oil change places look at that. They always say it looks fine and it's full. I might be mistaken but ...yikes! It's really black....or...was that the power steering fluid? Anyway, my new awesome mechanic guy did say the break fluid is really black. I'll get it flushed. Not DIY style.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-08, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Be sure he uses "brake" fluid and not "break" fluid.

Power steering fluid is pretty clear also in it's virgin state unless you have a vehicle that uses ATF for the power steering system.

Old 02-27-08, 04:34 PM
Durrrhhh... Good catch TG

I guess either way my car needs the doc b/c I'm sure I saw the "fluid" b-l-a-c-k. I'll try and take a pic of whatever it is I'm talking about and post! You know...I do have a manual w/photos and stuff. I seriously just haven't had time to look at it!!!! I don't think I'll ever learn the parts of my car except for the tires and the wheels...and the seats

Old 02-27-08, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Durrrhhh... Good catch TG

I guess either way my car needs the doc b/c I'm sure I saw the "fluid" b-l-a-c-k. I'll try and take a pic of whatever it is I'm talking about and post! You know...I do have a manual w/photos and stuff. I seriously just haven't had time to look at it!!!! I don't think I'll ever learn the parts of my car except for the tires and the wheels...and the seats
I see you are in Ca though, probably in Central Cal seeing as you are from where the cows roam. But if for some reason you ever make it to So Cal around the Pasadena area, let me know, I would be happy to go over your car stuff with you and what color fluids should be and whatever you have questions about.

Old 02-28-08, 08:37 AM
Thanks. That's kind of you. Actually, I am in Southern CA. Don't you know cows roam in Southern CA too? Didn't you hear about the bad cow news thing? They were selling the sick cows when they're not supposed to. Anywho, thanks for the offer! It's great to have you around here on this forum to help members out w/your expertise

Old 02-28-08, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Thanks. That's kind of you. Actually, I am in Southern CA. Don't you know cows roam in Southern CA too? Didn't you hear about the bad cow news thing? They were selling the sick cows when they're not supposed to. Anywho, thanks for the offer! It's great to have you around here on this forum to help members out w/your expertise
So you are from where the cows roll or get pushed. That isn,t too far away. Just PM me when you have some free time or some car troubles.

Search this Thread