CEL states catalytic converter

Old 02-26-08, 06:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CEL states catalytic converter

Check Engine Light Code states catalytic converter not meet emission specification. I took it to my mechanic and he told me it cost too much to replace and not needed for awhile at the state and city where I lived. This is a 2001 Subaru Forester with 98,000 miles. Is he right? He did mention that eventually my mileage will decrease but takes a long time. I have been using him for the last 8 years. So I do trust him but not needed to fix something seems odd. What do you think?

Old 02-27-08, 03:30 AM
M
my 2 cents

Originally Posted by tonykwong
Check Engine Light Code states catalytic converter not meet emission specification. I took it to my mechanic and he told me it cost too much to replace and not needed for awhile at the state and city where I lived. This is a 2001 Subaru Forester with 98,000 miles. Is he right? He did mention that eventually my mileage will decrease but takes a long time. I have been using him for the last 8 years. So I do trust him but not needed to fix something seems odd. What do you think?
My 2 cents are fix it for these two reasons:
One it is the right thing to do for the air we breathe. and two with that light on if another thing in the system goes bad you will not know it because the light will be on already.

Old 02-27-08, 01:03 PM
T
Good point! Thanks

Old 02-28-08, 01:18 PM
Your car has two oxygen sensors (O2 Sensor), one in front(upstream) of the Catalytic Converter (CAT) and one behind (downstream). The upstream sensor measures the oxygen left in the exhaust after the fuel is burned, and controls the fuel injectors to give the proper fuel/air ratio. The downstream sensor checks the output of the CAT to see if it is doing its job. If the downstream sensor fails it will set the code indicating the CAT has failed. The computer has no other way of measuring the condition of the CAT.
My guess is that the downstream sensor has failed. It has a life span of 100,000 miles which you are close to. The sensors are around $70 each, and changing them out is the only real way of checking them. Since they are at the end of their rated life, you should replace both. If you want your mechanic to do the work, check his parts cost, then check a local car parts store. Repair shops often double or triple the parts price as a little extra profit. Buy the parts yourself, take them to the mechanic and have him install them.
By the way a new CAT is about $250, if you replaced everything it would be around $500, compare that to a car payment. If the car is running well otherwise any repair that's less than 6 months car payments is a good deal, unless you just want a new car.
Good Luck

Old 02-28-08, 10:05 PM
J
I once had a code P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I let it be and when I changed the oil, the CEL light went off shortly afterwards. Maybe you'll get lucky like I did just by changing your oil.

Old 02-29-08, 03:13 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonykwong
Check Engine Light Code states catalytic converter not meet emission specification. .... What do you think?
I think you need to post up the exact code
There are many codes that seem to include the function of the cat, but do not by any means mean the cat is not functional

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: