98 chevy blazer brakes

Old 02-28-08, 04:24 AM
98 chevy blazer brakes

I have a 98 chevy blazer When I hit my brakes I feel the brake peddel go up & down.The front end of the truck will bounce too. Is it because my rotor is out of ballance?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-08, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Probably not out of balance but rather slightly out of round, i.e. warped. How long since the last time the front brakes were done?

Old 02-28-08, 07:52 AM
It may be a false ABS brake application. Pull a fuse to disable the ABS and see it the pulsation is still there. It may also be thickness variation in the machined surfaces of the rotor and that will give a pulsation in the pedal also.

Old 02-28-08, 09:39 AM
The rotors are warped, they can be turned or replaced for about the same price($25-$30). The main cause of warped rotors is not using a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts. Make sure that who ever works on your tires uses a torque wrench on each lug nut to ensure even tightening.
I was having the same problem but it turned out to be bad wheel bearings. To check them, jack up the front wheel and grasp the top and bottom of the tire and see if it rocks in and out as your push and pull on it. Do the same check on the front and rear if the tire to see if the tie-rod ends or other steering components are bad.
If the bearings are bad, you will have to replace the entire hub assembly, also a good time to change the ball joints and maybe the tie-rods just in case.
Check Rockauto.com for prices on parts, good prices, quick service, although shipping on a hub assembly will kill you. If your going to have a mechanic do the work, buy the parts yourself and pay to have them installed. The shops often doubles or triples the retail price of parts, then get the parts house to deliver for free and you get to pay the extra. For a little leg work you can often save hundreds of dollars.
As and example, my wife took the car in for one of those "free" brake inspections, the inspection was good and found some problems, but they wanted $90 for a rear wheel cylinder, I bought a good quality one for under $30. I did the work myself so the $1000 brake job cost me about $150. Not a bad savings if you don't mind getting a little dirty.

Good luck

Old 02-28-08, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
A couple of words of caution, however, on buying your own parts for a garage to install:

a. Not all garages will do this.
b. There's nothing dishonest about a garage marking up their wholesale cost of parts to retail (which is not the same as tripling the price). This is a common practice in lots of businesses, not just in automotive.
c. For garages that WILL install your owner-supplied parts, often they will not warranty them, so make sure you ask all the pertinent questions up front.

Old 02-28-08, 10:49 AM
Everyone likes to use the term "WARPED ROTORS". Warped rotors will move the calipers back and forth on the slide pins for the calipers. What warped rotors (run-out) will do is cause a little of the rotor to be scrubed off everytime that part of the rotor rubs on the brake pad. In time that rubbing causes a thickness variation in the rotor and when the brake is applied the caliper piston goes in and out and THAT IS WHAT YOU FEEL AS A BRAKE PULSATION *NOT* ROTOR WARPAGE! To fix brake pulsation you first need to determine what is causing the run-out of the rotor. Uneven wheel nut torque, run-out in the hub assembly, rust or dirt between the rotor to hub interface all contribute to this problem. General Motors dealer have had an essential tool for many years now that consists of cleaning and measuring tools to address anything that is causing run-out. The kit also contains tapered shims that are used to off-set any remaining run-out that may exist. This kit has permanently fixed repeat offenders on brake pulsation. After the run-out is brought to within specs you then must re-machine the rotor.

Search this Thread