2001 Toyota Camry Radio

Old 03-01-08, 06:17 AM
2001 Toyota Camry Radio

I have original radio in my car. I can see the stations during the day but at night it's all dark & can't see what station I am on. I went to a few dif. places. 1 guy said it just wasn't a bulb like I thought. He told me to replace the whole radio! There's nothing wrong w/ it! I just can't see it during the night. Toyota wouldn't help me over the phone & wants me to bring it in...I rather not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The dial usually brightens and dims from the same control that brightens and dims your instrument panel. If varying that control does not change the radio light, I would first look for a wire or connector that may have come loose.

Old 03-05-08, 08:32 AM
2001 Toyoat Camry

Thank you but already checked that & it's not the instrument panel. As far as wiring goes, where would I start? It's too vast for me to do.......right?

Old 03-05-08, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a tight fit under the dash. My Toyota has a center console and I would not care to have to dig into it.

Check for a shop in your area that specializes in radio sales / service. They may be the best bet in this case.

Old 03-06-08, 06:43 AM
Unhappy

the radio display is digital. there is probably a printed circuit behind the face plate. they get dirty. i had a maxima that did the same thing. see if you can push the display plate in with your finger and make contact. if so, the numbers will probably show up. don't know how to repair except replace. mine would light up when i pushed in on the plate. it was an old car, so i wedged a small object in the frame to keep the plate pushed back. worked for a while. sorry i don't have a better answer.MODERN TECHNOLOGY!!!

Old 03-10-08, 10:05 AM
2001 Toyota Camry Radio

thank you Mike, I will pull off the front panel & dig around in there. It's so odd that it can be seen in the day time, but not in the night. I feel it's something minor & am trying to find someone who knows. I do not want to take it to Toyota or another place because so far I've gotten conflicting answers & don't want to spend money on this...I am not buying a new radio because this 1 is GREAT & works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the nighttime display.....
I will let u know how it goes.

Old 12-29-08, 05:57 PM
Today I replaced the ash tray light. I pulled off the panel which the radio, c.d. player, cig. lighter, etc. is on. I got the new bulb in & it doesn't light up.....I noticed the other light I had put in a while ago for the ash tray didn't seem to last long....
I am wondering if this isn't all tied in? The radio station display is fine in the day....at night it's not lit up....so unless I am in a lighted area or my car light is on, I can't see the stations. With this info. does anyone has another idea?
Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown? Where do I look? Thxs!

Old 02-22-09, 02:27 PM
2000 Camry

I have the same problem with my 2000. Sometimes it flickers. I'll let you know if I find out why? I have been looking on Ebay for a used one.

Old 02-22-09, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may find it easier just to install a aftermarket stereo.

Old 02-23-09, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
But be aware that if you have a premium factory sound system with amplifier, the job is not exactly plug & play (recently put a new radio in wife's '01 Camry).

Old 05-21-09, 01:56 PM
The light works in the ashtray, I just didn't get it in right....the radio still doesn't 'display' at night. I can see the radio stations during the daytime. I am sure it's a minor fix, just can't find anyone who knows how to do it or at least for cheap. The radio is nice & so r the speakers. I just can't see replacing all of this! Can u? I guess I can 'deal' w/ not seeing the stations at night. My car is a 2001 Camry Gallery. I can't help but think it's just a bulb somewhere.

Old 07-04-10, 10:02 AM
My mechanic said it's internal w/ the radio & to buy another if I want the display working. Since the radio works fine, & I can't see the display @ night(only), I'll deal w/it.
Fixed ashtray light.

Old 08-25-11, 10:52 AM
Mine does the same thing

Hi - I have exactly the same car doing the exact same thing w/ the radio. Before I start digging away in the radio guts, have you found anything more on the night lighting problem? Aside from the light problem, the car is great.
Thanks.
~S.

Old 08-26-11, 08:06 AM
Well, still not replacing the radio due to not being able to view the display @ night or should I say the display doesn't light up in the night. I can see it if I shine a flash light on it..............an unusal thing that occurred was: it was super cold here, like 25 degrees. I started the car at night & the display came on! So something has to do w/ extreme cold & the display. It only lasted a few mins.

Old 08-26-11, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Most likely it's nothing more than some sort of internal connector for the display. It could also be a cold solder joint on a circuit board. The working when cold is a good clue.

If you can find an electronics guy who would work on it...it might be an easy fix. Notice I didn't say cheap.....