SBC Identification help needed

Old 03-01-08, 10:39 PM
SBC Identification help needed

My fellow chevy fans...I am new here and need some help...Bought a SBC 327 (or what I think is a 327) The block casting numbers top left of the bellhousing say: 3959512 which is attached to ONLY a 327, 62' thru 67', according to my research....my dearest mechanic friend tells me that the other numbers, other end of the block (suffix, build date, etc.) are the ones I need to "run" to find out what it really is, as he swears it is a 307....The block casting numbers, to me, since they indicate a true 327, and 327 is the only thing that pops up for that number tells me it is just that....a 62/67 327! The other numbers are as follows: CE9A292-16 or 1b ( i cant be sure) and : VIIO6XBB, or 88....i think its BB though. Can anyone out there tell me where/how to run these numbers or can someone run them and tell me what we have? i will be indebted to you as it is crucial at this point to know.... Thank you for your time...Email me @ ******* PLEASE

Last edited by GregH; 03-02-08 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Email address in post not permitted.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 05:06 AM
My book says 62-63 327/250HP. The suffix on the block pad at the front of passnegers side head would narrow it down. My guess would be a suffix R* or S*, two letters. If the engine has ever been decked, that # will be gone.